How does GPS works in WP7?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I get lost a lot and I don't know how to use a GPS. I heard that bing didn't had turn by turn navigation but is it because the phone is not capable of? Any third party app offer that?

Tips are welcome.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Bing Maps is turn but turn and will track you as you travel. It just doesn't support voice and is slightly inaccurate in some foreign countries (though that will be fixed soon).

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, is there any good tutorial showing how.

Also for example anyway to save my direction, so if I get lost in some place I can find where to always came back to my phone. Also I mentioned turn by turn navigation but I don't really know what it means.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
turn by turn generally refers to the phone telling you the next step in your route as you approach it.

the way it is right now (iirc, they said they would add proper turn by turn in a future update [mango?!]) the phone will give you a route and track you, but you have to click the arrow to go to the next step on your own.

i hope that makes it a little more clear.

here's a video that should help a bit:

YouTube - Windows Phone 7: Bing Maps

as for third party, i believe navigon has an app, but it's for a specific UK provider only right now, hopefully they release an app soon, because if (for me personally) they release it after msft updates their maps app, i'm not buying a third party one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon