Automatic Sync of exchange accounts

ike3505

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have gmail and my corp email setup on my HTC Titan via Activesync. I love the push technology and have used it for years with many devices. One thing on the Windows Mobile platform that is really quite annoying and I fully admit I might be doing something wrong.

Here is my issue.
I receive an email via push...
Delete said email
however it does not make that change to the destop version (outlook or web browser) until I manually hit the sync button.

Am I doing something wrong or is the expected?

Also hate that I have to click download pictures all the time. I know everyone says data plans data plans blah blah blah at least give me a toggle or enable it on wifi.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that when you delete an email it will never, ever go away until you manually sync? In order to save on battery, things like deletes will not trigger a sync. Blackberry works this way. Things like that can operate on more of a schedule like every 15 minutes, or when a new email arrives then it will process the deletes.

If you continue to get new email after the delete and the message in your desktop does not delete then something isn't working how it should.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This works on my Exchange mail at work. It's not instantaneous, but it works on it's own to synchronize without me doing anything.

As was stated, you would not want it to be constantly synching and checking for mail, it would ravage your battery life.

ike3505

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have never timed it but I assume I does go away eventually. Its just kind of annoying and I don't think my iPhone nor my Andriod device opperated like this.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have never timed it but I assume I does go away eventually. Its just kind of annoying and I don't think my iPhone nor my Andriod device opperated like this.
I, too, would love to see the option to perform an automatic sync after every action. Right now, it only syncs automatically when changes (new emails, deletions, moves, etc.) are made on the server and pushed to the device. I would like to see the same happen when changes are made on the phone. I know the iPhone did it from back when I owned the 3G.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

You are right, you would think Microsoft the creator of Exchange would have it implemented better.

I noticed the same behavior immediately in Exchange syncing. Deleted emails do go away eventually but I'm not sure of the time interval or what action it takes for the phone to alert the server that a change was made locally and it should update the server and any other clients.

Where as if I delete an email on my iPhone the email is deleted every where else pretty much instantly. Come on MS...

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Interesting - when I delete mail from my own Exchange account on my device, it disappears from my inbox and into my deleted items within about 10 seconds. Note that if your Outlook client is in cached mode, this is expected behavior - look at your mailbox in OWA instead for a live view.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting - when I delete mail from my own Exchange account on my device, it disappears from my inbox and into my deleted items within about 10 seconds. Note that if your Outlook client is in cached mode, this is expected behavior - look at your mailbox in OWA instead for a live view.
I'm connected directly to Exchange without Cached mode, and it's not instantaneous for me. I either have to manually sync, or, wait for new email to be pushed to the device for the changes to sync back to the server.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have gmail and my corp email setup on my HTC Titan via Activesync. I love the push technology and have used it for years with many devices. One thing on the Windows Mobile platform that is really quite annoying and I fully admit I might be doing something wrong.

Here is my issue.
I receive an email via push...
Delete said email
however it does not make that change to the destop version (outlook or web browser) until I manually hit the sync button.

Am I doing something wrong or is the expected?

Also hate that I have to click download pictures all the time. I know everyone says data plans data plans blah blah blah at least give me a toggle or enable it on wifi.

Please your Titan is NOT a windows Mobile phone it is a Windows Phon Windows Mobile was discontinued after version 6.5.

With resopect to you download pictures on emails I believe its set that way by design to conserve data as well as battery powe. A toggle might be good. Have you gone downloaded the suggestion app and rfequested and voted for that feature with MS If not do so in addition to talking about it here. It could result in this feature being added later

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm connected directly to Exchange without Cached mode, and it's not instantaneous for me. I either have to manually sync, or, wait for new email to be pushed to the device for the changes to sync back to the server.
I would then say you have a problem with the CAS server you're hitting talking to the mailbox server, or some other backend issue. This does work basically the same on both my corporate and personal Exchange servers, and the corp environment is gigantic.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would then say you have a problem with the CAS server you're hitting talking to the mailbox server, or some other backend issue. This does work basically the same on both my corporate and personal Exchange servers, and the corp environment is gigantic.

Gmail and Hotmail both behave the same way as the OP describes. It's WP7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas