WiFi drops out when the phone is sleeping... Help!

adsc4

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
So i just got my second windows phone (nokia lumia 710) and because its cheaper and easier, i like to use IM instead of SMS (I use SMS when i'm out, and IM when i'm home, which is the most of the time). But i've soon realised that after about a minute of the screen being locked, the wifi disconnects, and only reconnects when i unlock the phone. This is really frustrating because it means that messages aren't pushed to me when the phone is locked. and it also means that i appear offline to the other person, so they don't message me back. I understand that this is a windows phone 'feature' to save power, but does anyone know if it can be turned off?? that would be so useful :) My first windows phone never did the same, but it ran the same version (mango)

And I know that getting a data plan or just using SMS will fix this all, but im 16 and tight on money as it is, so i would like to stay away from spending extra money every month :)

Thankyou for any help :D

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It does not do this to me for some reason, try turning on alot of background tasks then do a charging cycle. After that it should stay connected regardless

adsc4

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried it just now, and it seems to run under the lock screen, but it doesnt push the messages. It only notifies me of the message when i unlock the screen again. Is that what happens to you?

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I think I get messages even in locked screen. I would also get email messages since I have it pushed to my email which is set to retrieve anytime.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Does that require constant streaming radio in the background?
No, you don't. Here is what you do. Download iHeart Radio. Open the app and select any station. After 3-5 seconds pause the music using the volume key controls. Back completely out of iHeart Radio. Go to settings and check Background Tasks. If iHeartRadio got added to your active tasks, disable it. You don't need it. Now, as long as you stay within range of your WiFi Router, your WiFi will remain on. I had my non-SIM Surround running WiFi for three full days in te house. It usually disconnects when you plug the phone into a charger. But all you need to do is turn iHeart Radio back on to lock WiFi on again.

All WP devices disconnect from WiFi about 30 seconds after the screen goes to sleep and the phone is not plugged in. Only exception is if WiFi is streaming or you are downloading a large file. Of course, apps like iHeart Radio are another way to keep it on. It will work. Guaranteed.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I can't download iHeart radio in my region. But I made it work with my carriers music streaming service TDC Play, doing as described leaves Wi-Fi connected. And if You want to turn off the Wi-Fi, just run the app Stop te Music, then it goes back to normal functionality.

So basically I now can control if I want Wi-Fi to stay connected or not. :D

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon