Using my Windows Phone as hard drive.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to upgrade my PC to Windows 8 and I want to do a clean install.

Can I transfer all of my music and pictures to my Phone, then install them back on my Windows 8 PC without any degrading on quality?

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea about using your phone as a harddrive as I don't have a WP device yet myself, but you shouldn't lose any quality if you just copy and paste the files. Quality is lost when you open a file, and then save it again and run it through a compression algorithm. For example, every time you open a photo and then save it as a JPG, it gets run through the JPG compression algorithm. If you open a JPG, save it, open the new one, save it, and continue for a while, you will see a huge loss in quality. However, if you copy the original JPG and paste it in a new location, it isn't getting compressed again, just moved.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can't use your phone as a hard drive like you can with Android. But if you sync all your music and photos, you'll be able to load them back to your PC without any loss.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I see, doesn't seem like I will have much problems. I'll upload all my pictures and songs to my phone and also skydrive. I want to enjoy Windows 8 in full capacity and not hindered by viruses.

Edit: Jesus, Skydrive is such a mess.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3