Email: gmail, outlook, WP8 and read/unread messages

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Phone: L920

Using the standard email client with a gmail address and outlook 2007 on PC. IMAP.

Is there any way to get the phone to communicate read/unread status of emails back to webmail and then to Outlook? At the moment, if I read something on my phone and then look at my email on my PC, the message is still marked as unread.

What do other people get?

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
It should be automatically syncing that information if you're using IMAP. Now, if you have your settings set to only sync every 15 minutes, then the read status won't be updated until the next time your phone syncs. Same thing for the read status on the computer, if it's set to every 15 minutes, it won't update until the next time it syncs.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. But if I force a sync it should also update, no? Anyway, I have it set 'Download as items arrive'

Any other ideaS?

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have mine set at 30 mins for both outlook and gmail. After reading and replying or deleting, I just press the refresh button. When I go to my lappy or even android tablet, it shows read as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
As items arrive does not seem to sync read status instantly. Rather, it seems to happen next time something arrives or is sent. A manual sync should force a read status sync as well though. It does on mine.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answers. For some reason it doesn't on mine. And I guess it's actually a problem between gmail and outlook rather than anything to do with WP8. Will investigate.

tjunger

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Though this may be coming a few months too late, I wanted to post a solution I found in order to avoid this situation.

I recently set up Outlook 2007 on my new machine and connected it to an old gmail account. It took absolutely forever for Outlook to download all my messages and it was marking everything as unread - old messages, new messages everything.

Turns out that Outlook's automatic setup is not that smart. It set up my gmail account as a POP account rather than IMAP. I deleted the POP account, reconnected as an IMAP account per the instructions here and now everything is hunky-dory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes