Not SIM Unlocked

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow definitely a deal breaker for me....

Sigh.. Just when I thought It was time to get a new phone....

I thought in the US if you buy a phone from a carrier and tell them you are travelling abroad or something, they will unlock it for you?

Hopefully Microsoft sells them unlocked or tmobile is lenient with the unlocking.... I

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I guess it's wait and see if Microsoft Stores offer an Unlocked version. This will show if in fact Microsoft wants Partners to see sales........

Let Tmo have the rights for a limited time then list on the web site.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Only ever tried one unlock from T-Mo and it went well. Paid off the device and asked for the code. Had it in my email after about 48 hours.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've never had any hassles with unlocking carrier-branded phones since President Obama signed the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act. With one stroke of his pen, he gave the Library of Congress a big, black middle finger and laid the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to waste. If ANY carrier gives you any grief, you let them know they are in violation of Federal law. Trust me, you'll have your code within 48 hours as RumoredNow mentioned above.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Saw this on tmobiles' website:

Unlock requirements
We provide mobile device unlock codes free within two business days (or provide further information about timing) for eligible devices.
Device eligibility is determined as follows:
The device must be a T-Mobile device.
The device must not be reported to T-Mobile as lost, stolen, or blocked.
The account associated with the device must not be canceled, and be in good standing.
You have requested no more than two mobile device unlock codes per line of service in the last 12 months.
The device must satisfy all the Postpaid or Pay in Advance (Prepaid) Unlocking terms outlined below.
T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Yea Cricket is the only carrier people have problems with. T-Mobile is great,
Except that T-Mobile's policy is not as liberal as AT&T's unlocking policy. I'm a T-mo custome,r but it was very easy to unlock phones from AT&T, as long as you hadn't used them on and weren't a customer of AT&T. I got three L640's unlocked, no hassle at all.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
* From T-Mobile's website:

Unlock requirements
We provide mobile device unlock codes free within two business days (or provide further information about timing) for eligible devices.
Device eligibility is determined as follows:
The device must be a T-Mobile device.
The device must not be reported to T-Mobile as lost, stolen, or blocked.
The account associated with the device must not be canceled, and be in good standing.
You have requested no more than two mobile device unlock codes per line of service in the last 12 months.
The device must satisfy all the Postpaid or Pay in Advance (Prepaid) Unlocking terms outlined below.
T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Unlock eligibility for monthly phones, tablets, and mobile Internet devices
The device must have been active on the T-Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.
If the device is financed using T-Mobile?s Equipment Installment Plan (EIP) ,or if it's leased through JUMP! On Demand?, all payments must be satisfied and the device must be paid in full.
If the device is on an account that is under a service contract term, at least 18 consecutive monthly payments must have been made or the account must have migrated to Simple Choice no contract rate plan.
If the device is associated with a canceled account, the account balance must be zero, including all pending charges.
Unlock eligibility for Pay in Advance (Prepaid) phones, tablets, and mobile Internet devices
The device on the requesting line has been active for more than one year on the T-Mobile network.
If the device has been active for less than one year on the requesting line, the Pay in Advance account associated with the device must have had more than $25 in refills for basic phones or $100 in refills for phones or tablets since device first use date. $100 in total refills is required for each device that is requested to be unlocked.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
40 days of being active is if you're on monthly. I want to walk in the store, pay the full price, and request an unlock.

From what I read there, there's no way to unlock it unless you're a T-Mobile customer and meet the terms described there. I hope for those of you that are not T-mo customers that I'm wrong, but I'm afraid I'm not.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No, the only US carrier doing it properly is Verizon. They do not lock their phones at all. No unlocking necessary. :wink:
They don't do it because they're a "conglomerate with a heart" (shout out to Johnny Carson). The FCC requires them as part of an arrangement for VZW to acquire spectrum a few years ago. But while other carriers are more of a pain to unlock, they leave APN settings open for editing. Verizon locks them out requiring owners to edit registries or rooting. It's really a moot point in the US since President Obama signed the law wiping out the DMCA.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs