The great Android experiment

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I tried a load on my two devices and constant freeze ups, locks etc are all I get. I have been doing some reading, and what not. I am going to dive back into the googlesphere for a bit I think, A new chormebook, zenfone2 and zenpad to try out. I am very intrigued by the chormebook os. I am going to try one of the 13" chormebooks maybe the Toshiba with HD screen.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought an S6 Edge today after 3 years with windows phone. There are a lot of things I love, but enough things that drive me crazy and I will return it tomorrow.

A few highlights:

Love:

Email or username is remembered for selection through different apps.

Apps are plentiful and work better (uber driver icon was accurate and offered spotify tie in)

Select text is a lot easier to use.

Office programs blew away the ones on Windows phone. I know that is changing with windows 10, but it is absurd how much better it is.

Hardware: Maybe the M8 is near, but no Windows phone feels as good in the hand as this one.

Ugly:

Keyboard is awful, even when using swype.

Notifications: Maybe it is a problem with my band but I get notifications for EVERYTHING. When the phone is charging my band alerts me every 1% increase.

No live tiles: self explanatory

Text messaging: no deliniation between read and unread messages.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with most of your sentiments, I really miss the WP keyboard. And every freaking app sends notifications. Did you install a fart app? Well then, you can expect the fart app to send notifications of breaking wind-related news.

The whole experience reaks of constant spam.

Another huge annoyance; with WP you get complete control over the ringtone and content of all notifications. You can choose which apps can display in the status bar, and which will just vibrate. You can assign a certain ringtone to an app or group of apps. With Android, the notification sound you get is whatever sound the app would make if it were open. Some of those sounds are awful.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of your sentiments, I really miss the WP keyboard. And every freaking app sends notifications. Did you install a fart app? Well then, you can expect the fart app to send notifications of breaking wind-related news.

The whole experience reaks of constant spam.

Another huge annoyance; with WP you get complete control over the ringtone and content of all notifications. You can choose which apps can display in the status bar, and which will just vibrate. You can assign a certain ringtone to an app or group of apps. With Android, the notification sound you get is whatever sound the app would make if it were open. Some of those sounds are awful.
It is possible to disable notifications for Android apps.
097fdf7c58947a9aec7f56ba475fd282.jpg

It is also possible to change notification sounds from the default to whatever sound one wants.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly the same on my Nexus 7 and Moto X which run stock Android.

I just pulled out an old 4.4 phone and I would agree that it's hard to find how to disable/enable notifications easily. That may be on an app by app basis. But newer phones do make it pretty easy.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It is possible to disable notifications for Android apps.
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/14/097fdf7c58947a9aec7f56ba475fd282.jpg

It is also possible to change notification sounds from the default to whatever sound one wants.

Is it possible to do this with built in services? Every time I use a keyboard I get an alert that I've selected a keyboard. I also get the same alerts when gps is activated or when my phone is charging.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know why this Zenfone 4C has Too much bloatware?

Got 3 web browser out of the box. 8GB internal but only 4GB accessible.

Any idea about custom rom?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been a Microsoft guy forever, Started on a HPC 1.0 (Microsoft first portable windows device besides a laptop) and moved up step by step, PocketPC, Windows Mobile (still loved that HP HX4700) and till I got my very first HTC Trophy WIndows Phone 7 device...

I have had to support iOS devices over the years, I know them very well, but, Android, so so,, a little here and there...

So, I just picked up a MINTY non-booting, white LG G3 for $45 and it's under Warranty :) so it's out to service. When it gets back, I will be swapping SIMs back and forth with this phone.

The LG G3 is a very nice phone, slick, as fast as my ICON spec wise, bigger and beautiful screen, I guess I am going to see what it's like to live with this device for a while, and I will be able to swap back and forth.

After the promise if Apps, Apps, Apps from Microsoft over the years, and 4-6 years later, Still waiting, I need to play on the other side to see how bad it actually is.

I love Windows Phone but, the endless waiting for stuff that at this point I don't see happening, at least any time in the next few years... It's old, really old...

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just an update on my continued experiences with return to Android:

The Lg G2 continues to impress me. It's just a fantastic piece of H/W. Why, oh why, can't I get a W10 phone with this quality H/W?

2. The AT&T/LG bloated S/W is just complete and utter ****e! My God, what a complete and utter mess this is. Trying to customize the phone to work in a highly productive manner is like trying to herd cats. And to top it all off, there isn't a trustworthy AOSP ROM for it. Flashing ROMs to Android phones is necessary (unless you are using a Nexus device) to get a decent experience, but the Carriers and phone mfgs make it harder to do that every day. And there just aren't as many good ROMs around anymore.

Android phones are so damn high-maintenance. Nothing ever "just works".

I now have enough data to say that I really want to come back to WP, but ********* MS, you're REALLY making that hard too. The 950 is FINALLY a phone worthy of buying, but not at $500. I may look at the Jade Primo when it comes out.

So I found a refurb ATIV SE for about $90 online, I'm going to try running W10 on that until I can get a reasonably-priced and spec'ed W10 phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2