Moving away from Windows Phone (temporarily?)

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
That won't help him if he isn't home or at a place that has WiFi.

True, it's all situational I suppose. I get a few bars at home so I use wifi calling now as of two days ago. I don't receive calls a lot. But anywhere I go I find wifi almost also. But that's just my situation and I understand everyone's is different.

Mhtu

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I got my Nokia Lumia for the same reason. I wanted something unique, now I realize that was a mistake.

Good luck with your new Android Phone, you are going to love the S6 even more and never want to come back.

Francis Amar Singh

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I have been with Windows Phone for 5+ years. It all started with the Samsung Focus in 2011. I remember loving the phone and the interface and feeling like I had something unique in hand when using Windows Phone.
My next windows phone was a Lumia 928 which is the phone I still use as a daily driver (currently on W10 after going through all the updates 7, NoDo, mango, 8, 8.1, etc.)
Unfortunately, my time has come to an end. W10 runs well enough on the 928 but as is common knowledge, still feels half-baked. What drives me away is a combination of software and hardware. I constantly miss SMS notifications (I'm assuming as a result of W10), my phone has restarted multiple times while trying to make phone calls (which makes me doubt its reliability), the lagginess prevents me from actually wanting to use my phone, the camera performance is abysmal, my lock button sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (hardware issue). I simply don't have a reliable phone that I enjoy using. To add insult to injury, I am on Verizon which offers no other Windows alternative for me.

So for the time being goodbye, a Galaxy S6 will become my daily driver. I hope in 1-2 years the platform is still alive, has improved, and I have device options with Verizon.

Tis a sad day indeed.
I was windows smartphone user since 2001 when HP launched first PDA phone called Jordan 928. Windows phone 7 fever started with HTC HD7, lumia 900, 920, 1020 and then I moved to Xperia Z5 last November and I am very happy with Android OS and the Z5 as well... NO turning back to Windows OS till Microsoft have a 1020 successor....

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I've moved to a 'two phone strategy' after going through:

• several different WM 5.x/6.x devices by HTC, HP, and Sony
  • HTC HD2 (WM, then Android, then WP7)
  • Dell Venue Pro
  • Lumia 920
  • Lumia 1020
Tempted by the 1520, but then the 930 launched and I read it was the only one that would support Miracast... at which point I realized that it would be a while before MS put everything together a flagship device, higher-res screen, new OS, and PureView OIS...

So I sold the Lumia 1020 and grabbed the 6.3" Sony Xperia Z Ultra (not much smaller or more expensive than a 7" Android tablet), unlocked, and flashed with Cyanogenmod nightly builds. This vanilla Android phablet is, to my mind, a "bridge" device that I can keep around long after I return to WM. It is waterproof, so I can use it for GPS/maps when hiking, slip a foreign SIM in when travelling (sometimes HERE Maps doesn't even come close to Google Maps). Plus, so many times I've wanted a device to fall back on, so I can sell a phone used (and demand a decent return) before buying the next one.

I was holding out to get the 950 or 950XL as a daily driver, but now I think I'll wait and see what the Surface Phone looks like. At this point, I'd be a lot more interested in something like Project Astoria than in Continuum. Not just for wider app selection - I could care less about Snapchat - but the WM versions of most apps are just so basic and feature-limited compared to their Android counterparts.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm researching Androids now. My 930 is my 3rd Windows Phone, but I've had it now. Once I see a deal I like, I'm out (unless there's some miraculous update to W10M before then, but I wouldn't bet on it).

And done. Bought an LG G4.

neversummer07

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
OP, I wish you well. I am thinking the same after waiting for years for bank apps to arrive and were disappointed; worse of all Microsoft seems to release new features for Android and iOS before WP. I'm a WP faithful since Dell Venue slider, HTC, Lumia 810, 520, 925, and currently 830, I'll come back to WP when/if apps improve. In the mean time, I'll get the LG S4 for ~$360.

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
The apps that have been getting updated are running faster and flawless for me. Groove was trash beginning of December and now it's running amazing

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
The apps that have been getting updated are running faster and flawless for me. Groove was trash beginning of December and now it's running amazing

Agreed. Groove has advanced very, very well. Radio is really good. All around very good now. Plus, with the ability to safe and stream my own music from OneDrive is unique compared to others, say Spotify. (My days of managing my 38G music collection on hard disk are over.) Once W10M is finished (I know, I know, I'm impatient too), I will probably drop Spotify and go all in with Groove. Groove is just fine on 8.1 too.

rld082982

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I got a LG G Flex 2 (such an underrated phone for some reason) and love it. Only thing on WP I miss is the camera... this one sucks, along with the android camera software, and lack of camera button.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Loved my Samsung focus running WP7, at the time I would have not wanted to go with an iPhone or Android. 920 was great on WP8, then some updates ruined the camera app and performance. 1020 was a great phone but 8.1 ruined WP for me, separated what I loved about 7 and 8, as well as the phone was mostly unfunctionable. Left after 8.1 for a Nexus 5, loved it... Have had an S6 since launch and love it still today. Good luck you'll love it, I'm also still watching WP hoping it returns to what I loved about 7 or 8.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon