Mint app

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Would you guys trust and use an Mint.com app developed by a 3rd party (me)? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, I wouldn't trust mint. Anything on the internet can be hacked. I wouldn't want all all my financial information in one place.

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I wouldn't trust mint. Anything on the internet can be hacked. I wouldn't want all all my financial information in one place.
There's two concerns, whether you trust mint and whether you trust an outside party connecting you to mint. If you don't trust mint in the first place the second question doesn't apply. It took me a little while to trust them myself, but after trying it I loved the service.

I've been waiting for them to put out an app, but after two years I decided it's time to stop waiting and do it myself. Personally I would be hesitant to trust an app that wasn't developed by mint. That's why I am considering open sourcing it, or at least providing the code for review.

A lot of people use mint and are asking for an app, but it's not a priority for them. I want to know what it would take for people to trust a third party mint application. Is it worth my time to do it? Would you trust it if wpcentral had access to the code and said, hes not stealing your money?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I wish Microsoft had some kind of seal of approval for sensitive apps, like an XBL title or something. That would give me a little more confidence. Kind of like I'd rather buy from Amazon, than buy from a no name website.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I wish Microsoft had some kind of seal of approval for sensitive apps, like an XBL title or something. That would give me a little more confidence. Kind of like I'd rather buy from Amazon, than buy from a no name website.

That's good point. I know I would feel more confident seeing that, but there are probably liability issues if Microsoft did that.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I use mint, but would never trust a 3rd party dev. This isn't limited to mint, but other things that have sensitive info...

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I use mint, but would never trust a 3rd party dev. This isn't limited to mint, but other things that have sensitive info...
Yeah, I definitely understand the trust issue. That's why I would consider making it open source. I would love to go through some sort of trusted approval process that verifies that I'm not trying to steal your information, if that's possible. I will contact some reps from Microsoft I know and see if there is anything like that.

And it's not screen scraping. Proof of concept is done and I'm able to login and bring down my account info/transactions.

madhouse1616

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind seeing an mint like app from ya....mint has stated that windows phone platform is very low priority for them (search on their forums) and you're right...this is after over a year of requests for an app...i would even pay 99 cents

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans