03-07-2013 03:42 PM
75 123
tools
    Maybe I don't use Facebook as much as many people, but on my 822, I haven't had a problem yet with it
    11-16-2012 11:52 AM
    This looks like a couple of iTrolls tried spreading a rumor but got slapped down pretty good. Facebook is baked into the OS - you don't even actually need a Facebook app per se. Ditto Twitter.
    11-16-2012 01:01 PM
    If you think it's bad on WP8 (and I don't think it's that bad) don't try it on Android.... Holy smokes that thing is a slow POS. Especially if you consider the massive market share Android has over everybody else and it sucks so bad. I was never impressed with the iOS one either, but I have not used it since the GS3 launched... So far the WP8 app seems ok. Have not messed with Twitter yet.
    11-16-2012 01:13 PM
    Yes, most people will still need the app. For instance in the Me tile, I am unable to 'like' any comments.... need the app for that, I'm sure there are other things. It's getting there though.
    11-16-2012 01:20 PM
    In general most Windows Phone apps quality are about 70% lower then one for iOS or Android. And I'm not being biased at all. I have owned 2 iPhones and 4 Windows Phones.
    Winterfang likes this.
    11-16-2012 01:24 PM
    Lets not forget that the Facebook iPhone app sucked up until last month

Nah, it still sucks on iPhone :D
    11-16-2012 01:31 PM
    In general most Windows Phone apps quality are about 70% lower then one for iOS or Android. And I'm not being biased at all. I have owned 2 iPhones and 4 Windows Phones.
    70% lower in what?
    11-16-2012 01:32 PM
    The Facebook app is awful. Genuinely. It does not do a good job. Looks good, layout is nice, but notifications don't work properly. It's buggy and slow.

That's the app.

The built in Facebook integration on the phone is excellent and does most things you want to do. But the app really does suck.

Twitter isn't a problem. Rowi is pretty decent and they have an update on the way with more improvements.
    11-16-2012 03:42 PM
    Just use the built in functionality in WP, don't bother with apps. If you add your FB account to the phone the OS itself already does 90+% of what any OS Facebook app does, and does it a lot more elegantly.
    TheAccuser likes this.
    11-16-2012 03:46 PM
    I was surprised at how well the integrated FB stuff in the people hub worked. I rarely ever use FB so I ended up turning it off but it seemed to work very well for every day stuff, I didn't even know there was a FB app.

Same goes for LinkedIn, it seemed to integrate very well into LinkedIn without any real issues.
    11-16-2012 03:55 PM
    I like the look of the Facebook app but I don't think it is showing all of the newsfeeds...seems to jump over a lot of them...kind of the way the Zune FB app did back when I used it.
    11-16-2012 04:05 PM
    Coming from Android, I thought the WP8 Facebook app was pretty good.

That may be because, as others mentioned, the Android Facebook app is holy **** awful.
    11-16-2012 04:08 PM
    Guys...guys, when we talk about a power app for power users...
    First, I don't know what you think a power user is, but it's not a social network fiend. Generally (and with many other definitions that do not include what you seem to think), a power user is someone who writes operating system scripts and cares about every minute detail about the back end of how an operating system works and makes their life easier (or harder lol). Someone who writes 650 facebook wallposts a day is NOT a power user of any kind. As a software developer and network security analyst, that statement offends me.

Second, how is it Microsoft's fault that the public facebook API is limited? If you really were a power user you would understand that API's that are exposed to the public have limitations for stability, usability, security, and sometimes monetary reasons. The reason why the facebook integration and the facebook app are not as full featured as the ones on iOS and Android is because they use the public APIs (maybe Microsoft has a bit of a deal with facebook on additional functionality). If you really want a facebook app for Windows Phone stop chewing about it here, and take it to facebook dev teams through Twitter, Facebook and the company email/contact info. WP doesn't sell 8 million a month yet, make them realize that we are growing and that you want it.
    ammn and eric12341 like this.
    11-16-2012 04:53 PM
    I've been a WP7 since launch day. I HATE the Facebook and Twitter apps. I used Carbon / Rowi for Twitter and I've used the mobile site for Facebook. They really need to be fixed. That being said, if you don't have to like comments, the Facebook integration into the OS is amazing.
    11-16-2012 05:41 PM
    As a software developer and network security analyst, that statement offends me.

As a web developer and database administrator, I think you're a bit off in your definition of a power user. Most power users don't care about system scripts or how an operating system works, only that they *do* work so that the power user can do their thing.
    kenzibit likes this.
    11-16-2012 10:20 PM
    I do use Facebook, and obviously know more than you do about it since I get along fine with the built in integration and need no app.
    No need to argue, but there are plenty of limitations of the built in integration.

For starters, I can't "like" individual replies. I also can't seem to "mention" anyone in a post. There are also no live alerts to speak of at all. I basically have to refresh my "People" or my "Me" apps. Is this a big deal? Depends on who you ask. For me, it is fine. I am not a compulsive FB user who needs to know whenever a person responds to one of my posts. But I do know people who appreciate that sort of functionality, and that is certainly not integrated.
    11-16-2012 11:24 PM
    As a web developer and database administrator, I think you're a bit off in your definition of a power user. Most power users don't care about system scripts or how an operating system works, only that they *do* work so that the power user can do their thing.
    Neither of those jobs makes you or anyone with those titles a power user. I do DBA as a subset of my development and no power user skills are explicitly necessary for doing DBA. Nor for web development. I know tons of people who claim to be web developers but don't know their *** from their elbow when it comes to anything outside of html, CSS JavaScript and PHP.

I still maintain that a real power user knows how to get the most out of his/her machine. That includes scripting and command line tasks. Facebooking and blogging is not being a power user.
    11-16-2012 11:38 PM
    Neither of those jobs makes you or anyone with those titles a power user.
    Either does "software developer" or "network security analyst". You're funny. :D
    11-16-2012 11:50 PM
    Rowi is a nice 3rd party twitter app, Facebook notifications has greatly improved. I find the wp Facebook app hood, you could go to this site touch.facebook.com
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    11-17-2012 12:07 AM
    First, I don't know what you think a power user is, but it's not a social network fiend. Generally (and with many other definitions that do not include what you seem to think), a power user is someone who writes operating system scripts and cares about every minute detail about the back end of how an operating system works and makes their life easier (or harder lol). Someone who writes 650 facebook wallposts a day is NOT a power user of any kind. As a software developer and network security analyst, that statement offends me.

Second, how is it Microsoft's fault that the public facebook API is limited? If you really were a power user you would understand that API's that are exposed to the public have limitations for stability, usability, security, and sometimes monetary reasons. The reason why the facebook integration and the facebook app are not as full featured as the ones on iOS and Android is because they use the public APIs (maybe Microsoft has a bit of a deal with facebook on additional functionality). If you really want a facebook app for Windows Phone stop chewing about it here, and take it to facebook dev teams through Twitter, Facebook and the company email/contact info. WP doesn't sell 8 million a month yet, make them realize that we are growing and that you want it.
    You can be right about your definition but you should know english words aren't specific - open a dictionary and you'll find all words have more than one meaning, so don't take the word for yourself as your own property. The way I understand poweruser is how everyone else around the web understands; you might as well write a post or be on TV and tell everyone else it's wrong and it offends you so we should stop using it wrongly. ;-)

If iOS/android facebook apps are using public APIs to make them look better, what's preventing WP developers from also going for the same meat? If microsoft can't give us better Facebook app, can't they consult facebook itself for their developers to help? If you really want your product to soar high I guess you have to invest and take risks.
    11-17-2012 01:48 AM
    All the facebook apps suck. Just give me push notifications and I'll use the browser site.

I really do like the facebook messenger apps though, I'd like to see facebook port that one over to WP. They work very well.
    11-17-2012 02:25 AM
    As someone stated, Facebook personally develops for iOS and android.

Sent from something uhmayzing using my pinkie
    11-17-2012 02:30 AM
    Yup, FB app sucks big time. Pretty cool that with the new live lock screen you get to see your notifications on the lock screen...except they hardly work. They come in randomly, so I never trust the number there, because it's always out of date. I don't get it, is it so hard,to fix??

Regarding the comments on twitter app they're pretty much senseless because there's a ton of excellent third party alternatives twabit, rowi, mehdoh. Also, don't forget the twitter and FB integration on the system itself, and that works pretty good
    11-17-2012 05:28 AM
    An improvement I noticed on the integrated Facebook is that you are now able to comment on videos and links. On WP7, we weren't able to do so.
    11-17-2012 06:20 AM
    Facebook and Twitter really need to have apps developed by the parent company for it be as effective as the iPhone equivalents. It's up to Facebook to create a native app, which shouldn't be hard at all since WP8 is now MUCH easier to develop for. The one we have access to is a 3rd party app.

Personally I'd request the feature, if there is enough demand, they'll be obligated to do it. I've also requested similar things from my favourite sites that have apps such as IGN and GTTrailers.
    11-17-2012 07:59 AM
75 123