New Facebook App for WP8! Finally!!

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh my god, it's a functional facebook app!
This thing is already far better than the other. Metro was a nice idea for it but it just wasn't as functional as the iOS app.
I see this as a nice merging of the two, it looks nicer than the iOS version but functions better than the Metro disaster.

meh, I think the design sucks. Its plain and boring, just a rehash of the android/iOS apps which is pretty opposite of the whole WP thing.

Something like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IkQZ8IpFa...600/instagram windows phone fan concept 2.png

with less room taken at the top would be perfect. Just replace instagram with Facebook. Has all the visual clues to tell you to swipe, look nice and clean and unique to WP and would still be able to present the same amount of info and functionality.

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
They shouldn't bring back the banner image or break any of the FB's internal UI conventions.

In this very specific case, since FB is a critical platform app, FB's own UI conventions >> WP/Metro's design conventions.

Cross quoting myself from another thread:

This new FB app, its design, direction, attempts to maintain UI consistency with other FB apps/sites on other platforms is a very very good thing for WP.
No one will switch TO WP just because it has a better banner image
People WILL switch AWAY from WP if some of their core apps do not have the requisite functionality or are non-intuitive
sorry, but if people are deterred by the Facebook app looking different, how do you think they will make it past the WP OS/UI. By the logic you used, they should just ditch the metro stuff and give us a grid of icons. The UI is what differentiates WP, and is really all it has going for it. The previous design could have been improved easily and still kept the metro feel.
Like this
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IkQZ8IpFa...600/instagram windows phone fan concept 2.png
With better use of space, especially along the top.

Shimoner01

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I really hope we get that floating thread/floating head (whatever its called) chat function that Android has. Saw it today, looks really cool.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it'll be on the UI. But I think it's likely it'll be on the new FB app. I think if MS wanted chat heads to be on the WP UI. It'll have to be like a notification like bar that'll stay there for chatting

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I really hope we get that floating thread/floating head (whatever its called) chat function that Android has. Saw it today, looks really cool.

I'm sorry that 'chat heads' is awful. Why would you want a friends face following you everywhere on your phone.

To me that's some weird creepy s*ite, I'll stick to toast notifications, at least I won't have see some friends strange profile pics.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry that 'chat heads' is awful. Why would you want a friends face following you everywhere on your phone.

To me that's some weird creepy s*ite, I'll stick to toast notifications, at least I won't have see some friends strange profile pics.

haha this makes me chuckle but the point of chat heads is to allow you to browse to other things while waiting for message replies instead of staring at the message screen.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes but I can do that with toast notifications. The message toasts, I read and reply, then press back button and carry on from where I left off. Or do you mean it saves you leaving the app?

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The messenger doesn?t work great in the FB app. It doesn't refresh automatically, you can't see when one is typing, and it doesn't say if the person saw the message or not....

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Irritating that it still shows all posts from even pages and people marked "Do not show in News Feed". Going back to touch.facebook.com until this is resolved... I seriously don't need more clutter in my feed, but don't want to defriend or unlike every page.

*edit* - they fixed that as of this morning - yay!

Last edited:

Nick Garza

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I just cant get over how much I dislike the look and feel of this app. Going to stick with the original for as long as I can. With the public API, this app ( even the beta ) will always miss the functionality of an official app.

Just give me the larger thumbnails, a smaller banner, and the more convenient likes and things of that nature and the original app is as good as it will get on WP. I think this design just sucks.

Raffaele Zippo

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I like the beta because being a "metro restyling" of the mobile site it has all fb functions, including account settings.
I dislike any fb app that makes you need a computer for specific actions

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'm not too fussed with what it looks like. This is so much better than V4.
And so far I've not had posts disappear while reading them. (This was generally posts over 5 lines)

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
ALRIGHTY, I am so very happy that they released this, It was my number 1 thing i hated about windows phone.
Buuuuuut, still improvements to be made, i've sent 6 emails to the devs so far and here are the problems i have:

1. New notifications should be differentiated from the old ones by a blue background or something.
2. ADDING IMAGES TO CHATS, GOD DAMMIT. PLEASE WHAT THE HELL.
3. Typing when sending feedback is really laggy which is odd.
4. C
licking links in chat doesn't work. Can't even copy messages and paste them into IE.
Images attached in chat from other devices are not viewable. Just a blank white message
6. When typing a message the cancel button doesn't do anything. - (Note, this does seem to be working now)
7. Chats should automatically refresh, shouldn't need to press ... then scroll, then click refresh (or shake the device)
8. Toast notifications don't work, neither does the icon on the lock screen or the tile icon.
If you're typing a message in chat then Shake to refresh, the send button disappears and you have no way of sending the message.
10. If you go to a friends profile (I clicked on their name in the news feed), there are 3 buttons along the bottom of the screen. If you hit back and then click on their name again, the "write post" and "share photo" buttons disappear.
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]11. The app encountered an error when i opened it once and asked if i wanted to send the error report, and it gave xbox as one of the options....which seems a bit odd.
[/FONT]
Just my list of problems with it so far.

EDIT: Oh, forgot one which i havent sent to them yet, liking comments is pretty dodgy, hitting the like button has to be done so very precisely and its pretty slow to respond so if you click it twice it likes then unlikes it.

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
plus when you put the phone on lock and you are on messenger in the FB app, upon unlocking the phone, the app just goes black and you need to restart the app. This is a major problem, because people will be messaging, and will want to lock their phone and then shortly after resume chatting.

Tomanband

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
plus when you put the phone on lock and you are on messenger in the FB app, upon unlocking the phone, the app just goes black and you need to restart the app. This is a major problem, because people will be messaging, and will want to lock their phone and then shortly after resume chatting.

report it via the feedback button, in setting->about :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon