09-20-2013 07:12 AM
28 12
tools
    Hi all

Does anyone recommend a decent clock/alarm app that displays in landscape mode to replace a clock radio type display AND extinguishes all lights?
    Preferably with an option to set your own alarm tone.

I use LED Clock at the moment which is great but as with all similar apps I've tried, the three WP hard buttons stay illuminated all the time.
    I've made a cool Lego stand which has a fold down portion to obscure the three buttons at night ()but are there any that extinguish the lights permanently?

I contacted the LED Clock dev when I had it on WP7.8 and he said it was impossible to extinguish the lights via code, yet I've noticed they are off in some apps I use so is it possible in WP8?

Cheers

Chris
    07-17-2013 07:36 AM
    Not sure about the alarm part, but wouldn't the glance screen do at least the clock part without the buttons glowing?
    Chris Sandiford likes this.
    07-17-2013 01:03 PM
    I have the same problem, would love to know of a solution
    Chris Sandiford likes this.
    07-17-2013 01:10 PM
    Not sure about the alarm part, but wouldn't the glance screen do at least the clock part without the buttons glowing?
    Glance would partially work. If it had a landscape option then job done. I'll see how it looks when we get it.
    07-17-2013 02:51 PM
    i think glance will have a 15 min time out, thats wat it used to be on my N8
    07-18-2013 01:17 AM
    I believe you could try the Night Stand clock which works on similar lines. Does it dim all LED's I am not really sure.
    There is a Lite version also which is Free but probably does not allow to set up alarms.

Night Stand Clock
    07-18-2013 01:50 AM
    Hi Kakes. I tried this one last night and it doesn't dim the lights. It's not as nice looking as LED Clock either IMO, despite having a cool swipe to dim feature.

And if Glance times out as bozza72 says then it's not really any good!
    07-18-2013 05:05 AM
    Have you tried Night Stand Clock Lite? It's LEDs can be dimmed and has the full version available that includes alarms. Try the Lite for free and see if the Full version is worth looking into.

Night Stand Clock Lite | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    07-18-2013 11:25 AM
    There is no way to manipulate sensor buttons from inside the app. No API for that. So do not expect any application could do what you want
    07-18-2013 11:46 AM
    There is no way to manipulate sensor buttons from inside the app. No API for that. So do not expect any application could do what you want
    Thanks Ray. That's the tech answer I was looking for.
    07-18-2013 02:29 PM
    Reading the Glance walk through on the main pages, there is a timed night feature and an always on, so Glance seems to be the Glanswer.. 😉
    bozza72 and quantum tao like this.
    07-21-2013 05:49 AM
    Glanswer lol very good 😊
    07-22-2013 05:19 AM
    Night Stand Clock is great...it does turn of the button lights after just a few seconds...
    07-22-2013 05:55 AM
    I use Night Stand Clock & it's by far the Best App on the Market for this
    07-22-2013 12:33 PM
    Night Stand Clock doesn't dim the buttons for me and if this is not possible from an API point of view (as per Ray's posts then I can't see this being the case.)

But button dimming aside, try LED Clock;I rate it better than Night Stand Clock - the swipe dim is very cool but the digits are a bit ugly and lacks the colours and functionality of LED Clock.
    My opinion.

Roll on Amber..!
    (or rather roll out Amber)
    07-24-2013 03:14 AM
    Only way I know to turn the button lights off is to Turn on Battery Saver
    07-24-2013 03:20 AM
    The lights only dim in sunlight, but will glow bright at night when I want it dim, my fix is a hair clip with some black electrical tape on, I just slide it over the glowing buttons.....also try talking alarmclock, dims like the one above has 4 types of clock and a shed loads of colors

Free Free Talking Alarm Clock | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

paid Talking Alarm Clock | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

its the one I use anyway.
    07-25-2013 12:22 AM
    This is my solution, in my custom Lego dock (still WIP)
    Hinged tiled bar covers the buttons.

Apologies for photo, was taken with a (cough) iPhone 4S.

Had to wash my hands afterwards..

normal-lazylens-20130717-094916-normal-.jpg
    07-25-2013 06:32 AM
    I believe you could try the Night Stand clock which works on similar lines. Does it dim all LED's I am not really sure.
    There is a Lite version also which is Free but probably does not allow to set up alarms.

Night Stand Clock
    Anybody know when this will be back? It appears to have been pulled from the app store. What happened was that there was an app update that caused the Night Stand Clock to immediately crash upon launch. For me anyway. So I uninstalled it planning to reinstall, but it was gone. It has been a few days now.

BTW, why can't this alarm clock play your own music and sounds as an alarm? The iOS version can. I've been looking through all other alarm clocks I can find on the app store and I cannot believe that there aren't a single other alarm clock outh there that looks even halfway nice. Night Stand Clock does (did) look incredibly good which more or less made up for a few missing features.
    09-18-2013 10:02 AM
    I emailed the devs yesterday and they said

"Fixed version already submitted to the store. Will be published later this week.Sorry for inconvenience."
    randomscandinavian likes this.
    09-18-2013 10:15 AM
    Since the Amber update (as predicted further up) I don't find a need for a Nightstand clock app any more as red Glance does the job nicely.
    The phone sits in a wireless charger and uses the phone alarm.
    Easy.
    09-18-2013 11:00 AM
    BTW, why can't this alarm clock play your own music and sounds as an alarm? The iOS version can. I've been looking through all other alarm clocks I can find on the app store and I cannot believe that there aren't a single other alarm clock outh there that looks even halfway nice. Night Stand Clock does (did) look incredibly good which more or less made up for a few missing features.
    LED clock does mate

LED Clock | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    09-18-2013 11:03 AM
    Red Glance? You can change the color of it somehow?

The LED clock isn't available in my region for some reason. There is another app with the same name which only displays a binary clock. But the one in your link, no. :( Will be fine when the Night Stand Clock app returns tho.

Yes, I too have a charging stand, a white one, and the white Lumia 920 looks very much like a nightstand clock from a '70s science fiction movie with the red LED digits and retro scanlines. I wish the Night Stand Clock creators could add a control panel for fading it down a bit permanently, instead of having to drag down with your finger over the clock face every time it is started. Also the forementioned custom alarm tones would be nice and a way to stop the phone LEDs from blinding you in your sleep. Well, that last one is probably not in their power to adjust. But they could at least include a lot more alarm tones to choose from.
    09-18-2013 12:08 PM
    Shame. Change to UK and try there. Make yourself a stand like mine with a hinged panel to hide the lit buttons 😊

When you set the night mode of glance, it changes to red. If you set it to 24 hours it will be red all the time!
    09-18-2013 03:18 PM
    glance has an always on feature.
    09-18-2013 03:27 PM
28 12