Help Me Spend My Wife's $25 App Store Credit (Lumia 928)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both got Nokia Lumia 928s on launch day, thus, we both got the free $25 app store credit from Microsoft. While I'm blowing through mine since I like to play Xbox games, she hasn't spent a dime because she doesn't care about games and most of the apps she does care about are free. I've heard the $25 credit expires in September sometime, and it would be a shame to waste it. So, are there any apps that she should buy that are either really cool or really useful? English isn't her native language so apps that are really English-heavy wouldn't be as user-friendly to her. She uploads all her pictures to Facebook or SkyDrive, so she doesn't care much about all that Instagram-esque stuff. If there is nothing that would pique her interest, perhaps apps that would come in handy for me if I were to borrow her phone? I thought of maybe buying some games that are pass-N-play that I otherwise don't want on my phone, but I highly doubt we'd use them that much.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Remind me again how you got the $25 app store credit? I got mine on launch day as well and don't recall anything about a credit. Thanks.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Could there be something in her native language or pertaining to it that might interest her?

Unfortunately her native language is Japanese and Windows Phone 8 has yet to launch in Japan, probably because Windows Phone 7 didn't do well there. So, native Japanese apps are few and far between.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize there was an expiration date to it before, but apparently it expires September 29th. Some paid apps that I use that you or your wife might find useful are Amazing Weather HD, Handyscan, PC Remote Pro, and Proshot. I also use Battery Sense which has an ad-free paid version along with an ad-supported free version.

If you don't already know Japanese and are interested in learning it, there is an app called Japanese Hub ($9.99) that has good reviews. I don't know if there are any Japanese-english language apps.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize there was an expiration date to it before, but apparently it expires September 29th. Some paid apps that I use that you or your wife might find useful are Amazing Weather HD, Handyscan, PC Remote Pro, and Proshot. I also use Battery Sense which has an ad-free paid version along with an ad-supported free version.

If you don't already know Japanese and are interested in learning it, there is an app called Japanese Hub ($9.99) that has good reviews. I don't know if there are any Japanese-english language apps.

Yeah, I got her Amazing Weather HD ($1.99) and Handyscan ($.99). I'll look into PC Remote Pro, Proshot, and Battery Sense. I checked out the trial version of Japanese Hub but it seemed to be more geared towards beginners. If there was a similar app for learning English from a Japanese perspective, that would've been good for her.

Any other awesome apps that are worth the price?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Slight off topic question: I accidently erased the message with the code before I could use it. Anyone know how to get that code back again. I'm running 928 on Verizon.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Lol, could you use the credit on your phone and buy more games?

No, I don't believe it can be transferred over. Initially, when first signing up for it, I could've put hers on my phone (but because I had my own credit, I didn't). In retrospect, I should've done this and there is no way she's going to use it all up.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Chronos calendar
Amazing Weather HD
Custom Tiles Maker All Tiles Pack
JDB for Facebook

Or try to use it yourself for more games if possible.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Look at these for her:

-Learn English $2.99 really great app for learning a new language. I use Learn French to keep me fresh.

-Flash videos $4.99 (if she needs to look at movies that are .flv

-x-note Free (really nice note taking app that let you customize the background and accent colors and backups to Skydrive. Developer changed it to Japanese for some odd reason)

-Intellicam or Intellicam Express $2.99/.99. Camera app that automatically takes photos by face recognition or a preset word/phrase

-Hey DJ $1.49. (music app that you can activate from home button. You can say "hey DJ, surprise me/play "insert artist, song, or playlist". It also have a driver mode for landscape playing. I do believe it recognizes other languages.

These should get you started! Enjoy.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Flash videos...does that app solve the problem of whenever I try to stream a video and it says I can't because I don't have flash installed? Or is this something else.

any other 'killer app' recommendations? All suggestions are appreciated.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on what services you use, but here are the top paid apps that I use.

Gmaps Pro, Metro Talk and Metro Tube, WP Central, Cocktail Flow, Amazing Weather HD and IM+ Pro.

There are free options of a couple of these apps but if you money to burn paid is better. Same could be said of Weave.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes