Why doesn't Here+ see closed roads/hazards?

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, as part of my usual morning routine, I checked the weather, traffic and social media to see what to expect on my normally ~30 minute commute. Twitter alerted to a vehicle accident on Clairmont Rd (at 5:30am) that was being cleaned up at 7:10am (I normally leave around 8am).

Because of this: Before leaving the house at 7:55, I checked Cortana and Here+ to see if the accident had cleared. Sure enough, both Cortana and Here+ showed that my commute time would be a semi-normal 33 minutes. So off I went.... into MAJOR traffic. It turns out, Clairmont road was CLOSED due to power lines down (from the wreck). Needless to say I was very late to work (1hr 15 min commute today).

So what happened? It turns out that Nokia Here+ (and Cortana) were seeing Clairmont Rd as "green" because there was no traffic on it... but in all reality, there was no traffic because it was CLOSED. Normally, I would have shrugged this off, but after speaking with my wife, I realized that both Google Maps AND Apple Maps showed that the road was closed! Why doesn't Here+? (And for those that claim that Mapquest is the answer - it didn't show it either).

I took a screen shot of the difference (sorry, wife didn't send me the Google maps screenshot, but it showed very similar to Apple Maps): the wreck was on Clairmont Rd (US 23, GA Hwy 155), just south of North Druid Hills Rd.

Nokia Here+:
wp_ss_20140822_0001.jpg

Mapquest:
wp_ss_20140822_0002.jpg

Apple Maps:
V__CE2C.pngV__FE91(1).png

This is a pretty big 'thing' that should be looked at... knowing that road was closed would have completely altered my chosen route. Was this just a one-time thing, or has anyone else ran into this with Here+ (or Cortana, or MapQuest)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon