just came from note 3 to 1520. help with apps.

Phantom3D

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I need a good app for reaching my nas and copy to my sdcard. I used es on android. Ftp will also work, i used stock filebrowser in android note 3 for this.

I also need a good videoplayer that can play mkv and more from my sdcard.

No problem with paid apps.

Love my new 1520 :)

Phantom3D

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
NAS, is a network drive connectet to my router. It is a disk that all my units can reach when within my network. I can reach it through networkdrive or setup FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to work with my files.

ES is ES file explorer, the most known file explorer on android.

MKV is a video format like for example mp4 and AVI.

Abdullah Jamal

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You could use "FILES" for file exploring in your device as well as the SD Card, if available.
It is the official app from Microsoft. You could also try "Files&Folders Pro" . And, as for a video player........ as far as I know, Only "MoliPlayer Pro" can play .mkv videos. It is the best of its kind....*similar to mx player on android*,.... but I suggest u try it first, before buying it :smile: . And All the Best with your new Windows Phone and hope you like it (or love it :wink:).

Phantom3D

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Abdullah Jamal!
MoliPlayer was just what I was looking for. Files and Folders were not, I need to get to my network drive/ftp drive. I tried a program called file manager, I can connect with FTP and everything seems fine. However when I have started a large transfer, it all stops when I lock the screen or start another program. Very frustrating.

Phantom3D

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and I keep getting "Video could not be decoded" when using stock youtube player.. I am loving the hardware of the nokia, but I am starting to relate it back to the old symbian phones..(Not good)

My note 3 worked flawlessly on everyting, except they removed sdcard writing on kitkat.. I want the 1520 to be good, but it is hard to see right now..

Last edited:

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and I keep getting "Video could not be decoded" when using stock youtube player.. I am loving the hardware of the nokia, but I am starting to relate it back to the old symbian phones..(Not good)

My note 3 worked flawlessly on everyting, except they removed sdcard writing on kitkat.. I want the 1520 to be good, but it is hard to see right now..

For YouTube you can download myTube from Ryken Apps. It's the best YouTube player out there. You can use trial version for free. Support the dev if you want.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

The "stock YouTube player" is just as wrapper for the mobile YouTube page, as we don't have an "official" YouTube app.

Try MetroTube or MyTube. These are the best 3rd party YouTube apps available and are quite good.

As for your NAS, maybe the Remote Desktop app will help if none of the apps mentioned above do.

For mkv files, Moliplayer pro plays them yes, but I prefer PLEX streaming media server. Download the free PLEX media server software on your PC, create an account, and set it up by telling it which folders have all your movies/videos. Then download the PLEX client app (was $4.99 when I bought it - the best $4.99 I've ever spent!) Fire up the app, sign into your PLEX account, and enjoy all your movies streamed right to your device, no matter the format mkv or whatever.. One of the best and most used apps on my Surface 2 and my 1520...

anon(8171782)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The best thing to do when u search for app name in the wpstore,check the ones with higher rating and lot of people rating it.it doesn't have to be official apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital