Here Drive- yards = feet?

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

My phone, a 928, always gives turn-by-turn directions (via Here Drive+) with measurements in yards. However, there is no way it's even close to accurate... I believe it's using the word "yards" in place of "feet."

​Does anyone else get this behavior? Is there a fix?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Check your device's settings. Settings -> Region -> regional format. It's possibly set to English (UK) or any other country that uses yards.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Holy cow... I think you got it!

I had it set for Imperial (yards/miles), but there is that other setting for US (feet/miles) !

Can't wait to see if this fixes it. I'm pretty sure that was an oversight in the Here conversion, from Metric (ie- whole world) to Imperial (for us poor US folks stuck with that nonsense), because I was fairly sure it was just saying yards instead of feet. "In 300 yards, turn right." And I KNEW it wasn't 300 yards, and was probably somewhere around 300 feet.

We'll see!

Thank you!!!

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Holy cow... I think you got it!

I had it set for Imperial (yards/miles), but there is that other setting for US (feet/miles) !

Can't wait to see if this fixes it. I'm pretty sure that was an oversight in the Here conversion, from Metric (ie- whole world) to Imperial (for us poor US folks stuck with that nonsense), because I was fairly sure it was just saying yards instead of feet. "In 300 yards, turn right." And I KNEW it wasn't 300 yards, and was probably somewhere around 300 feet.

We'll see!

Thank you!!!

My pleasure. I hope this fixes it for you. I didn't even think about checking the app first, because normally apps just hook into the system's regional format settings. When you told me that these settings were fine, the only thing left was the app then.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and I had looked in there and saw that it was set to Imperial (yards/miles) so I figured it was good. I didn't even look at the other options lol

I really just assumed that the app was doing the correct number, but just saying the incorrect word (yards, for feet). Actually, that probably still is an issue, just not MY issue anymore! :D

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and I had looked in there and saw that it was set to Imperial (yards/miles) so I figured it was good. I didn't even look at the other options lol

I really just assumed that the app was doing the correct number, but just saying the incorrect word (yards, for feet). Actually, that probably still is an issue, just not MY issue anymore! :D

Lol.. Don't expect GPS in cell phones to be very accurate. They're not comparable to dedicated GPS devices, as the GPS chips used in cell phones are less powerful than those used in navigation devices. That's why navigation in cell phones is never based on GPS alone, but also triangulation using AGPS.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Lol.. Don't expect GPS in cell phones to be very accurate. They're not comparable to dedicated GPS devices, as the GPS chips used in cell phones are less powerful than those used in navigation devices. That's why navigation in cell phones is never based on GPS alone, but also triangulation using AGPS.

How works HERE drive than if you use offline maps and don't have a data connection?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How works HERE drive than if you use offline maps and don't have a data connection?

Triangulation doesn't need an internet connection. If it's available, it's used additionally. If not, it's only GPS + triangulation. If the device is in Airplane mode or no SIM card is present, it's only GPS. Which is where you'll see that it's not as accurate as a dedicated GPS device.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Triangulation doesn't need an internet connection. If it's available, it's used additionally. If not, it's only GPS + triangulation. If the device is in Airplane mode or no SIM card is present, it's only GPS. Which is where you'll see that it's not as accurate as a dedicated GPS device.

That I know but that was not the question.
You stated that gps was NEVER used alone in cellphones. But it can.

You should however know that this could have been easily misinterpreted. There's a whole lot of users around these forums, who aren't tech savvy. :)

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That I know but that was not the question.
You stated that gps was NEVER used alone in cellphones. But it can.

You should however know that this could have been easily misinterpreted. There's a whole lot of users around these forums, who aren't tech savvy. :)

lol, touch?. :) Sure, it's used alone if it's forced to. I could've been more clear about that. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon