Do you think the rumored Andromeda device will be able to replace PC's for some consumers?

scoots37

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
We've heard Polaris is rumored to make its way to traditional PC's like laptops. Since the rumored Andromeda device will have Polaris on it, and a new tablet like mode when unfolded, do you think it will be able to replace a PC for some consumers?

My only concern is the typing experience with Andromeda: do you think Andromeda will have a lapdock like the HP Elite X3 phone did or some other accessory to make typing easier? Will some consumers replace there laptops and other PC's with Andromeda devices in the future?

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
It's my feeling that from this point forward you will see a drop in the percentage of Windows computers going forward. A dramatic drop. A lot of the numbers counted in Windows installations right now are Windows 7 machines. Most of corporate America completely skipped Windows 8 and 8.1....With the flailing around Microsoft is doing right now I see a significant portion of the replacement cycle to some combination of Ubuntu and ChromeOS going forward.

Given the choices Microsoft has made under Nadella over the past two years I will be shocked if the percentage of desktop and laptop running any form of Windows doesn't fall below 50 percent.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I believe that just like a Surface replaces a desktop for some I think the Andromeda device will replace some as well. Personally, I still like my desktop (even though I spend less time on it) so it wouldn't replace mine.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Manus Imperceptus

May 8, 2014
Visit site
It won't replace my private nor my work pc; I game (VR) on my private pc, and run AutoCAD on the work pc. It would be a great companion device, though, both at home and at work. It might even replace my smartphone, again both at home and at work. It could be particularly useful for field work!

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is like asking 2 decades ago if we thought that a laptop would replace our desktop, well when it got same or better specs it did, so I say the same aplies, if Andromeda has 32 Gb Ram, 1 or 2 Teras, and can be connected to a huge amount of external devices, then yes!

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Zac. I think it will take some time for an Andromeda enabled foldable device to take off. It's hard to know what such a device will look and feel like in the hand. That will be the very first hurdle for MS. The device has to feel as natural as carrying a smart phone. It shouldn't feel or look bulky. The second and most important hurdle, MS has to clearly push usage advantages over a traditional tablet, smart phone or PC. These have to be clear and compelling useage scenarios and they have to be made for both consumer and enterprise customers, even if the device is geared toward enterprise. It is the enterprise consumer that will more or less be the ones to use it for both work and personal reasons. It has to be positioned to cater to both. J

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Stop, dreaming, no previous small screened windows device has managed to replace a desktop, this magical device won't either. And as for the ridiculous prediction that Ubuntu and chromeos will replace windows, I suggest you plan the migration and see now it goes,

Sent from mTalk

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I think if they release a Studio 'shell' that can be used at home/office, that maybe boosts graphics in some way when Andromeda device is connected, AND the device has some form of keyboard that works well, it could go part way in replacing our PCs, however, as Zac mentioned, that may take some iterations. My Pro 4 just recently developed an ugly line 2/3 of the way down the screen horizontally, and with it some flickering so it's been shipped back the MS to be replaced, and in the mean time I pulled out my old Toshiba Satellite and (as it's too chunky/heavy/ugly) I had to take my two top phones (X3 & 950xl) with my MS foldable keyboard out so I could continue to work. I hadn't done that for a while as that's what I used to do before the Pro 4, but it felt odd at first and then it kind of felt liberating with only carrying the phones and the keyboard, and I could have carried one phone, but that's just me. Anyway, I really believe that it depends on how MS develop this device and if they have done all their homework, then they may be able to create this new niche. I'm a heavy user, but mainly for time, and I'll always have a desktop/laptop because I love the form factors, but ANOTHER device, is not hard to swallow. Will the average consumer go for it? It depends on what they bring to the table or pocket?

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Just as my surface pros did not replace my Desktop, nor my Elite X3 running continuum. What I am hopeful of is transitioning from the X3 to the Andromeda device with PWAs to use. This would replace my SP3 on trips. I also hope it will have printing capability. A very well thought out dock/keyboard/monitor could make a strong case for a desktop replacement for those that do light duty on a desktop.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe for some but it shouldn't be a global statement. I want it to be like a companion device, personally I still need the power of my laptop, but I like leaving it and being on my phone and still can do similar stuff, like continuing to chat on Skype, follow up on emails, one note... Plus non work stuff

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 4 i7, it is my desktop, using a docking station, it has a full size keyboard and mouse, web cam, speakers, microphone, 1tb hard drive, CD, and a few other peripherals, it can just as easily be my laptop, with either the standard supplied keyboard, or more often a small keyboard and mouse, and without those it is my tablet.

It is just too large to be my phone.

As long as any new device is powerful enough it can easily do what my surface does and if small enough when folded with a simple out-side facing screen also do that job as well, my phone duties and mobile hotspot work is currently done by my 950XL.

Brian2014

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
My desktop PC isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Android phone for when I'm not at the PC, otherwise I use the PC for everything. I can't browse the internet on a small device, except for occasional things when I'm away from the PC.

gnomagico

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes. Actually is not the foldable thing that makes the difference but the full Windows on ARM coupled with a monitor and Continuum.
Foldability makes the difference while on the go but most of the time I think the main PC is used at home.
That's why I'm following closely the work of Gustave and other guys that are trying to run WoA on Lumias, so I can give it a go.
Also it depends a lot on the computing power of the device but I guess that won't be a problem as chips continues to shrink.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Answering the question as posed, sure. It could replace the PC for some consumers. The HPX3, 950/XL, or Galaxy with dock, could replace a PC for some consumers. There are two things I get right now out of my "PC", meaning desktop. It has an enormous screen, along with keyboard and mouse, and it has applications I cannot get on my phone, Visio, Access, Corel, Project (you know the stuff). I can already get a ginormous monitor/keyboard/mouse hooked up to a phone. What I can't get are those applications. If I didn't need apps I couldn't get on a phone, sure, it could replace a PC. The performance is the next consideration, but phones are getting pretty amazing. If I put an HPX3 and dock in a small desktop case and had people try it with a monitor/keyboard/mouse and told them it was running Win S, I bet most would believe it was a budget desktop.

I think the next question would be, would I want to? There was a time when I wished for one device, so I wouldn't have to move things around, because the latest version was somewhere else. With the cloud though, that isn't as much of an issue. You can get to your stuff regardless of what platform you started it on, or what you want to use it on if you try. So, my phone and my PC are different tools for different needs, and I don't mind having more than one. Even if my phone could do everything my laptop does when traveling, I'd still likely need the stuff to make it a laptop, screen (8-10 inches unfolded won't cut it), keyboard too at least. If the stuff that provided that, the HP Lapdesk, NexDock, was $150-$200 bucks, I might go that route and hook the phone to it. As it stands, at $600-$800, I can just buy a laptop.

So, could the unicorn phone replace a PC for some people? Sure. Will it? Probably not, IMHO.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My desktop PC isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Android phone for when I'm not at the PC, otherwise I use the PC for everything. I can't browse the internet on a small device, except for occasional things when I'm away from the PC.

Nor is mine, I forgot to mention the 28inch monitor, but as said, my main PC is my SP4, so if they could make a six inch device that can fold out to twice that size and it's as powerful as my SP4, then I would have all my devices from phone, tablet, laptop and PC all in one device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire