Should Microsoft make a metro UI Android launcher?

nitro912gr

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
As one of the last Windows phone users I was really depressed with having to switch back to Android once I broke my Lumia 650.
After a couple of months using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A I realized that I just don't like even the very clean skin of Xiaomi and started looking for alternatives.

I ended up with launcher 10 which seems to be as close as possible to the real thing but still even with the limited functionality of live tiles it just not enough, mostly because even the Microsoft apps doesn't seem to work always nice with the live tiles.

I thought that if MS was making another launcher that try to bring the metro UI in the Android maybe we could have a more complete experience combined with the other MS apps in the platform.

So should Microsoft make a launcher like this?

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I think they should! I am using Launcher 10 and I agree, it has its limitations. I emailed the developer regarding some things (ex: let Outlook calendar have a live tile). But I think bringing a Win 10 mobile version of a new Android Launcer will be awesome (and much needed).

Nate

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yes, but. The live tile functionality has to be built into the app. In Android, it's easier to show a notification count.

They could make this work with their in house apps. But they could never get it working to the degree it does on native windows platforms.

I love it, I'm still using win10mob. It's SUPER handy, and i'll miss it.

Perhaps another angle would be to design widgets for android, for calendar, email etc. Then at least core MS features could operate like live tiles.

nitro912gr

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes, but. The live tile functionality has to be built into the app. In Android, it's easier to show a notification count.

They could make this work with their in house apps. But they could never get it working to the degree it does on native windows platforms.

I love it, I'm still using win10mob. It's SUPER handy, and i'll miss it.

Perhaps another angle would be to design widgets for android, for calendar, email etc. Then at least core MS features could operate like live tiles.

Well most of the things that work in launcher 10 can definitely being made working from MS as well. All they have to do is to tweak their own apps and widgets to work better with a tile interface and we are set.

After all I don't use google apps, only youtube. Everything else is either MS or a close collaborator of them like here maps. It can't be that hard to make a windows phone experience in android for MS.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 still has live tiles on Start. Why not continue to promote live tiles with Android launcher based on W10M. Seems like no brainer to me unless live tiles are on the chopping block in future Windows 10 builds. Frankly, I'm one of the few that uses live tiles in Windows 10 at my employer, so low adoption in Windows 10 could be part of the problem.

nitro912gr

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
well at the moment I use launcher 10, if one guy can go that close to the real thing with his limited resources, I guess MS will be able to do more with less, since they made the metro UI to begin with.

The only thing I'm afraid is getting in the way is that maybe, somewhere in the back in their minds in MS are thinking about trying again to make another windows phone, maybe with the coreOS, in the future.
So they don't want people who like this UI get comfy with the android devices so they have some people ready to buy their new device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3