HTC 8S Won't connect to wifi, or mobile internet, or cellular network.

W

WPCentral Question

Hello,

So for a few weeks my HTC 8S Windows Phone 8 has refused to connect to any wifi network - when I attempt to connect, it simply says "unable to reach wireless network", and does this for all networks, not just my home wireless. None of my other devices are experiencing a problem. Whilst this has been happening for weeks and I have been getting around it by using my generous mobile data package, this morning that no longer works either. Instead, when I try to find mobile networks, it says that none are found, where usually it would automatically connect to my carrier's (Virgin) and identify others. And more recently than that, the mobile signal bar is reporting no connection. So not only has my phone gone from being a smartphone to a phone, but has now downgraded itself from phone to useless block of plastic. I have just done a factory reset to try and resolve the problem but the phone still finds no signal and the same problem occurs when I try to connect to wifi.

I would really appreciate some suggestions as to the cause of the problem and any solutions.

Thanks,

Jack

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't normally attempt a reply to this sort of question but nobody else has, so it's down to you and me. All I can say is if you've done soft and hard resets and gone into recovery mode and cleared cache and all the other things with no success, it looks like the phone might have a hardware fault, such as with the aerial, and that the attentions of a repairer are called for. Sorry it's all I've got to offer.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

WindowJ

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, although some of the issues have been resolved - the mobile internet and cell network connection was actually downtime on my carrier's part and is now working again, but the same problem occurs with the wifi. I don't suppose there are any solutions you know of for that?

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
How annoying that the loss of mobile data occurred when it did, adding confusion to the issue...but we can now discount that, and I'm glad you've upgraded from plastic brick to phone again. So it's just a wifi problem, and if your device won't detect any wifi at all I imagine it must still be a hardware fault. I take it it goes without saying that all is still correctly set in Settings > Wifi > Advanced. And that you've tried that desperately simple ploy of taking the battery out and replacing, or soft resetting if you can't remove the battery....noting that some users find that doing this multiple times fixes the problem.

So still not much to offer I'm afraid.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

WindowJ

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not that my phone doesn't recognise any Wifi networks, it sees all of them and they all come up when you go to Settings>Wifi, but when you attempt to connect to one by tapping on it, it simply presents the error box saying that it could not connect. I have recently removed and replaced the battery, and the phone has been soft reset countless times in vain attempts to bring back its Wifi capability.

Sorry to be so problematic still, and thank you for your input anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa