Buy a 1020 or wait?

senrabwh

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I was thinking about buying a Lumia 1020 but wanted everyone's opinion on whether or not I should wait. I've been searching to see if their will be a successor but have not seen anything. It seems that McLaren was going to be it. Now that it's been killed, I'm wondering if a flagship will come out this year. What do you guys think?

revanthpallagani

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

I would suggest you to wait. I have a 1020, though there is nothing wrong with there is no denying that it's old hardware. One issue is the shot to shot time and then there is discontinuation of support.
Any specific reason for not considering 930?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
re:

What made you want the 1020? Was it for the camera? If yes then go for it but personally...lack of SD card and low internal memory is not ideal. I would suggest a 1520. The screen is lovely, fits into my pocket with a case and doesn't pop out, and lets be honest...if you buy a tv you want a big screen right? So the same applies for the 1520 ;)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
re:

Get it if you really want it. If you keep waiting for the next big thing, you're just setting yourself up for more and more disappointment as time goes by.

There's a difference between waiting for the next thing, and buying dated hardware. Would you, for example, recommend someone buy an iPhone 5S right now? Of course not, as the iPhone 6 is coming out next month. The 1020 is running on a nearly 3 year old SoC. I love the camera, but there's no denying that everything else about it is terribly old right now.

winphoneaddict

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

To me, it's all based on how the device works, and does it meet your own personal needs. We all realize that WP operates very efficiently on low power hardware. The 1020 may not have the latest quad core processor, or GPU, but its FAR from "low end" or "inadequate" in terms of the job it does, or has to do. I don't care that it takes an extra half second, or a full second to open an app. Or that multitasking my be ever so slightly slower due to a lack of processor cores. The actual differences in WP are small. The average user of the Lumia 1020, isn't really going to notice, or care. The 720p screen is also going to be perfectly adequate on a device of that size, and the 2GB of ram, will serve to somewhat "future proof" the device as well. In the absence of any other premium windows device here, I am going to purchase and will be more than satisfied.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
re:

My 1020 is running 8.1 wonderfully, super slick and no lag. With that said, id still wait or get a 930 personally...as in a year the specs may be showing their age.

senrabwh

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

Thanks everyone for your replies. Good advice and information! I spend an hour a day reading Weave Windows phone news, and search for any relevant news on upcoming Flagship devices. That said, I have seen ZERO mentions of a Nokia flagship that is forth coming. Therefore, I made the decision to buy a 1020 which will be here Wednesday. Amazon had a brand new white version for $299 no contract! I thought this was a great deal. When or if a flagship 1020 successor comes out, I'll buy it on contract and either give mu wife my 1020 or sell it and get her the new one as well. Has anyone else had any luck digging for info on a 1020 successor?

senrabwh

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

Having not heard anything about a successor to the 1020, I am so happy that I bought this Lumia 1020. It takes incredible pictures and operates seamlessly on Windows 8.1! The Xenon flash is vastly superior to the dual LED flash that was on my 920. So happy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss