Windows Phone 8.1 Security Questions

jonasty123dm

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and to WP8 in general. I'm very sorry for my English and I didn't know an appropriate title for this thread. . I'm also extremely paranoid when it comes to computer and account security in general, so I hope you'll don't laugh at me when I tell the following things that happened last day :)

I was surfing the web on my Lumia 925 and I was reading some tech-related articles (cnet, wpcentral, and others). Now, I came across an article about jailbreaking a Windows Phone; I believe it was on windowsphonehub.in . It talked about a Chinese programme one could use to jailbreak their phone. Mind you, I of course didn't download or tapped anything, I only read the article through.

Then, I saw they offered free .xap's for Windows Phone , which is surely illegal. I didn't tap anything either.

But, I'm still afraid that some kind of malware slipped through, even if I didn't tap anything. What if I did tap an xap (app) on that site: would the browser have downloaded the illegal app or would it have been blocked? Could my phone have been jailbroken without my notice, or would you need to connect your phone to your PC and run that suspicious Chinese programme?

I'm really worried about this. I only need someone who could explain me how Windows Phone security works in general, so I can have peace of mind. I'm afraid I did something to my phone, even though that's impossible because I didn't click anything on that site. I'm mainly concerned about the jailbreaking stuff: I believe it's impossible to do it without connecting your phone to a PC and run a programme, but I'm not sure: I don't want my phone to be jailbroken. Also, is WP like iOS, where you can also only install apps from the store?

I'm sorry for this long post and thank you in advance for helping me :)

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
your phone should not be jailbroken. you would need to connect the phone to the machine and go through the jailbreaking process that way. and also windows phone is very secure so it is highly unlikely that anything was installed on your phone from the site. wp does not run or open certain types of files

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
You cannot jailbreak Windows Phone 8. Also, even if a site has a .xap posted, you can't download AND execute it. XAPs can only be installed from the SDCard.

Let's talk about your worry more in depth though. Let's say, by absurd, that an app was installed on your phone (again , highly impossible, but let's go with it). Apps cannot "infect" the core OS because each app is sandboxed and they cannot alter core OS setting. Plus, malware ? It would need to written in Silverlight or WinRT as an app, so it's just not possible.

You can stop worrying.

jonasty123dm

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for the informative and fast replies. If someone who sees this thread has some additional information on this subject, please post it if you'd like. :)

To the moderators: it is possible I posted multiple threads about this, because the phone app didn't show my thread when I posted it; I knew this was posted because I received a mail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes