Swtiching over

BlackAztec

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching over to another phone because im bored with my current phone, The nokia lumia 928. I have three phones in mind. The Nokia Icon, the LG G3, and the HTC M8 windows version. But I can't decide which one would be the best option, for certain reasons. Like the Lumia Icon seems to be just a bigger and more powerful version of my current phone. The LG G3 is pretty awesome, but im kind of reluctant to switch from windows phone to android. Then the HTC M8 is also a terrific phone im just not sure about switching from Nokia since Ive gotten comfortable with them and there phones. If anyone could give me a personal opinion on any of these three phones, it would be a great help.

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I would do the M8. If it weren't for T-Mobiles awesome international roaming plan I would switch to Verizon just to get it. My wife has the Android M8 and swears by it. Plus its the newest WP out there. I always like getting the newest devices. I just hope they support it better than the HTC 8X. Good luck!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The Icon is a smidge slower than the M8 (probably not enough to notice, but mentioning this because it's the only difference in specs between the two). However, I'd put the battle between these two differences : the Icon has a better camera, HTC is still trying to incorporate these "Ultra Pixels," but hasn't perfected it (this is only the 2nd generation) while Nokia has been doing their "PureView" even before Windows Phone 7, so better camera on the Icon, in addition to 4 microphones to capture audio better for video, at least on the rear camera, the front facing on the HTC One M8 though is a 5mp beast, for selfies. However, the HTC One M8 does have one major thing going for it - 2 front facing amplified speakers, which no matter what, isn't a gimmick and I wish more OEMs would get on the band wagon.

So yeah, Icon has a better rear facing camera for capturing those special moments, while the One has the speakers that beat anything else.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The Icon is a smidge slower than the M8 (probably not enough to notice, but mentioning this because it's the only difference in specs between the two). However, I'd put the battle between these two differences : the Icon has a better camera, HTC is still trying to incorporate these "Ultra Pixels," but hasn't perfected it (this is only the 2nd generation) while Nokia has been doing their "PureView" even before Windows Phone 7, so better camera on the Icon, in addition to 4 microphones to capture audio better for video, at least on the rear camera, the front facing on the HTC One M8 though is a 5mp beast, for selfies. However, the HTC One M8 does have one major thing going for it - 2 front facing amplified speakers, which no matter what, isn't a gimmick and I wish more OEMs would get on the band wagon.

So yeah, Icon has a better rear facing camera for capturing those special moments, while the One has the speakers that beat anything else.

You missed one huge thing imho-expanded memory! The option to use a 128gb SD card in addition to the 32gb memory of the HTC is a huge advantage over the Icon.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Ha, I have three of those in my possession right now! I just went though this decision process so hopefully some of my thoughts will help you narrow down what's important for YOU as well.

Have had the 928 for a bit over a year. Unlimited data customer, on a family plan. Had an upgrade available on my line, and saw the news about Verizon tightening the screws on one of the upgrade loophole's. So I started considering my options.

I did consider an iPhone, had been thinking of switching platforms anyway. I'm not really in love with where 8.1 is headed, however, you are so limited in hardware. What Apple gives, is what you get. So likely no wireless charging, definitely no dedicated camera button, likely no NFC, but probably best combination of MS/Google/Apple support.

I bought an LG G3 mostly with the intention to sell, but also since I was curious to see what a modern top flight Android device could offer.

Spec wise, obviously the G3 offers just about everything, and with a replacement back (hey Verizon, thanks for removing it in the first place) you can have Qi charging working again. 13 mp OIS camera, laser focusing, sounds nice. In usage, the default camera app has basically NO control. Touch screen, photo is taken. I tried finding something free to control shutter speed, but didn't really find anything full featured and free (like one app would take a long exposure, but without paying $3 or $4 all I got was low resolution captures). It seems to be really aggressive with the compression on it's pictures, and low light (dim lamps) it is very noisy.

It is a big honkin phone too. Some things might be one hand, but it is definitely in two hand territory quite often. On the bright side, it has double tap to wake and sleep. Woot.

My wife's sister also had an upgrade available, so she bought an Icon for free ($30 upgrade fee), and then swapped her flip phone back onto the line. I got Verizon to lower her monthly bill by $20+/mo as well, so didn't feel bad about her giving me an Icon for the cost of the upgrade fee.

I'm using the Icon right now, and it has some good and bad.

Screen is nice. Brighter and whiter than my 928, shows more. Comparable to the jump from the smaller phones to the 928 was. Glance will never come to it, but double tap to wake is expected with the 8.1/Cyan update. Speaker is inferior to the 928 by far. Single slot in the back, similar to the 520, easy to block, but also just quieter. Faster loading apps for sure, but overall very hard to see much performance difference between it and the 928. Qi charging built in, camera button. Comes with an old version of Nokia Pro Camera, I like it versus the new revisions lol.

Negatives, not a lot of shiny new features, which is where we get to the M8. The lure of stereo front speakers, IR remote control, functioning tap to wake, are all pluses.

So:

LG G3
Hardware is beautiful
Screen is gorgeous
Memory card slot
Camera has all the right tools, seems like software is holding it back though
Very large phone though
Costs extra for Qi charging
You could actually use it to buy things at the store

Icon
You pretty much know what you are getting
it's the 928+1 :D
Qi charging, dedicated camera button
20 megapixels, takes more work in extreme low light than the 928 though
Better software for photo control
No memory card :(

I don't have the M8, but:
nice looking!
what's with the logo strip with no buttons (it offends me!)
Pimpin speakers
they got pimped by the camera salesman though
And again this year when they lost OIS lol
IR REMOTE
But, no Qi, no dedicated camera button.
But has memory card slot.

(G3 has IR Remote as well. Holy hell. Would be so great to turn on the TV, adjust volume, control Roku...)

Sorry for rambling post, tired and can barely keep my eyes open. Still pondering if I will clothe my Icon. Or just buy a warranty for it heh.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
So really, what drives you?

For me, I take tons of photos (yeah, mostly my kids, but whatever), and use wireless charging because it's magic beans yo. Cropping pics down is helpful, etc etc. I often am waking the phone with that dedicated camera button for snapping purposes...

Those things basically tilted it in favor of the Icon, at least for me. Everyone's situation is different though, glad we have some nice choices now!

BlackAztec

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
What drives me is that i want a phone that's kind of like a breath of fresh air, if you know what i mean. Something with better performance than my current phone, more features and a new look.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
What drives me is that i want a phone that's kind of like a breath of fresh air, if you know what i mean. Something with better performance than my current phone, more features and a new look.

The M8 or G3 might be it! Like I said, the Icon isn't numbered 929 for nothing!

:D

(as for new look, I did get my Icon in white, with the metal frame and going naked it certainly looks sharp)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
If photography matters a lot to you, get a G3 or a 930.

If you like the Windows Phone experience and want a premium device with pretty much no issues, get the M8.

If you are determined to get an Android device, get a G3 or a M8 for Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs