Lumia 830 or Lumia 1020

Inaam Ashraf

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I am planning to move up to a Lumia with better Camera... I currently have 1320.
With somewhat uderpowered chipset and 10MP camera, I am confused if Lumia 830 is the right option. It is making me tilt towards Lumia 1020... the only reservation I have is about the Hardware of Lumia 1020...will it be able to last for another year or so? I mean will it be able to receive all future updates from MS?
Please guide...need a technical input here!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If any dual core device is going to continue getting updates, it will be the L1020 above all the rest. I am not sure the low end processor of the L830 is really going to be supported that much longer then the L1020 anyways.

As far as just making a jump from the L1320 for a better camera, I would think the L930 (Icon here in the U.S.) or the L1520 is the much better option. I would put some good money betting at least another major update and all kinds of security patches coming to those two for a while yet.

A used L1520 would not be that much more then a new L830.

But of the two you asked about, the L830 SHOULD be supported at least a little longer, but I would say the L1020's camera just shames the L830.

Inaam Ashraf

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions snowmutt.
Well, both L1320 and L1520 are also a bit too big to carry around conveniently...I forgot to mention that in my initial comment.
You may be surprised but in case of L930, absence of "Glance" screen is a big deal breaker for me as I simply can't live without it.
For these reasons, I have been waiting anxiously for L830. But now that it is here, it will be priced similar to L1020 and that gorgeous 41MP camera is luring me to L1020.
I think I can conclude that chipsets are not much different on both L830 and L1020...am I right?
If that is the case... I am still confused :-(

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's what's happening.

Snapdragon generation wise... The 400 on the 830 is more modern than the dual core on the 1020. When Denim firmware hits... 830 will get everything except "Hey, Cortana" You are getting a sideways trade on the camera. 1020 will give you a great camera, but will miss all of the Denim benefits designed around sensor core. The chipset is Last Gen on 1020. It will get Denim, it just can't leverage sensor core.

Here are the missing features from the Nokia Lumia 730 and Lumia 830 that you may care about | Windows Phone Central

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's all a matter of prioritizing what aspects are most important on your device.

Thank Daniel Rubino for the fine article laying out what changes are coming . That's what I love about all the Mobile Nations forums... They keep you up to date.

I'm glad if a link I posted helped keep you informed... :cool:

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
you should go for the lumia 830, i believe opposing to the popular belief that Lumia 830 will get more updates in the future then the Lumia 1020. Also if you are just s casual photographer and want to click photos casually, i don't see the point to buy a Lumia 1020

Inaam Ashraf

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Pranshul. I guess you have made my decision easier now. But I don't know when it will arrive in our region (India/Pak)... You got any info? I read somewhere as late Oct
One more thing, I hear L930 is not available in India... Is that true? Because it is available in Pakistan

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 1020 new 'end of life date' and what it all means for Microsoft | Windows Phone Central

That might interest not only you, but the people who think that the Lumia 1020 will continue to get updates.

Remember what happened to WP7 when WP8 came out? That was only 2 years ago.... I wonder if my Lumia 920 will be standing at the threshold or hanging out in purgatory for eternity.

I think 1020 will continue to get updates. It's an important milestone phone for WP.

​I also KNOW it can't leverage all the new stuff coming in Denim due to chipset restrictions.

anton267

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I know this is an older post and sorry for reviving it, but i purchased a 1020 for me (as i am a photography freak) and 830 for my wife, and had the opportunity to have them tested side by side in real life. Quick answer: For everyday use, definitely go for the 830. If you're as sick a photographer as me but don't have the cash for a proper DSLR, go for the niche device 1020. Here's why:

- For the average photography use (i mean sharing jpeg shot in facebook and instagram), 1020 actually shoots at 5 MP resolution, inferior to what you will get from 830! You will enjoy 1020's camera only if you know what to do with RAW *or* when you use digital zoom, *or* in situations where you need the xenon flash (fast moving objects in low light conditions), in which case 1020 is unbeatable. But these are specialized applications, maybe not worth if you take into account the following:

- 830 has a removable cover, replaceable battery and supports microSD up to 128 GB. 1020 doesn't support any of these.

- 830 includes a new generation of sensors and technologies, such as the low-power motion-sensing technology, SensorCore, that can turn your phone into a fitbit. 1020 doesn't.

- 830 includes Glance Screen, a very helpful low-power information screen that is activated when you pick it up (or you can set it up to always show). 1020 also supports it, i am just stating this because some sites incorrectly say that 830 does not support Glance. Probably confused with 930 that doesn't support it.

-830 doesn't have the "hump", that love-or-hate feature that makes it difficult to hold the 1020. 830's design is amazing, even better (IMHO) than 930's.

- 830 battery life is significantly better than 1020 after using them side by side. I can't explain why, it probably has to do with better power management. Plus the replaceable battery (mentioned above) will allow you to refresh your 830's battery life after a year, when it starts dying too soon.

- 830 supports LTE Cat 4 with speeds up to 150/50 Mbit/s, which is just an example of some technical specs that are superior in 830 because it's a newer generation phone.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
- For the average photography use (i mean sharing jpeg shot in facebook and instagram), 1020 actually shoots at 5 MP resolution, inferior to what you will get from 830! You will enjoy 1020's camera only if you know what to do with RAW *or* when you use digital zoom, *or* in situations where you need the xenon flash (fast moving objects in low light conditions), in which case 1020 is unbeatable. But these are specialized applications, maybe not worth if you take into account the following:

- 830 includes a new generation of sensors and technologies, such as the low-power motion-sensing technology, SensorCore, that can turn your phone into a fitbit. 1020 doesn't.

- 830 battery life is significantly better than 1020 after using them side by side. I can't explain why, it probably has to do with better power management. Plus the replaceable battery (mentioned above) will allow you to refresh your 830's battery life after a year, when it starts dying too soon.

- 830 supports LTE Cat 4 with speeds up to 150/50 Mbit/s, which is just an example of some technical specs that are superior in 830 because it's a newer generation phone.

I can get 34/38MP jpg photos from my Lumia 1020, too. The 5MP jpg is for easier sharing. The high-res files are definitely billboard-quality photos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes