Can you use any Lumia phone with metro pcs?

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have been with the L521 since it came out. But lately ive been feeling like upgrading. But unfortunately, I can only find the L521 and L630 for Metro Users...So my question is can I buy an ICON and use it with my Metro PCS provider?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope... Metro is traditionally a CDMA company and Icon is a CDMA phone, but Metro won't activate a Vzw phone onto their service.

Now, the reason you can run SIM based (GSM) models like 521 and 630 on Metro is that they were recently bought by T-Mobile US. Those are actually T-MoUS internals on those phones and they are riding on T-Mo towers. T-Mo bought Metro for the tower capacity and it will all go T-Mo GSM over time.

You want a T-Mo compatible model. You could look for a T-Mo Branded Lumia 925 on eBay, Swappa or the Marketplace at WPCentral.

Or you could go "all in" with a 1520.3 - or wait to see what T-Mo unveils later this year for WP. There was a front page article on WPCentral saying HTC One (M8) for Windows is coming to T-Mo this fall...

MetroPCS Announces Bring-Your-Own-Device Program Opening Up Network To T-Mobile Devices » TmoNews

Always check with a Metro PCS person to make sure your device will run... The big deal is getting the correct 1700 MHz on the 3G/H+ radio and the proper LTE frequencies/classes to match T-Mo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes