Phone is malfunctioning. Can anyone help?

Trix256

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
For no reason yesterday my phone's lock/unlock/power button stopped locking/unlocking the screen. It still works as I can soft reset my phone by holding the power button and the volume down button.

Now my phone is not connecting to any computer via USB. The battery at the top right corner of the home screen doesn't change until I turn the phone off and on again. It is getting less and less functionality and not opening a lot of apps. Some apps are showing up with different names, for example Calander is now [Microsoft.MSCalander.... and it doesn't open.

Does anyone know what is happening and/or how I can fix this?

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 on Preview for Developers.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The preview version is not always stable in all Lumia phones, some errors can happen... so, one thing you can do first is to hard reset, maybe that could solve the problem but it will erase everything.

Another option is to perform a reset with the Lumia recovery tool, with that software you can reset and reinstall the OS, if you reinstall the OS, you will roll back to the latest stable OS/firmware version which for now is Cyan and soon Denim.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
mine did the exact same thing yesterday, I tried uninstalling the 3 new apps i added but in the end i had to hard reset, which fixed it, then as it was fresh install i flashed Denmark rom (im in New Zealand) and now have lumia denim.

Trix256

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks People. I did a hard reset and the problem is fixed. I have Lumia Denim now installed without even being in the preview for developers app.
I'm guessing Demin is more up to date than black?? In that case I don't think I need to enable preview for developers again....for now. Unless I'm missing something...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes demin is the most updated fireware.
But were you before on black not on cyan?
The demin update is now rolling out but is not everywhere yet.
And to make it more complicated there is a bug in extra+info which show that you are in demin but actual you are in cyan.
And one more if you were in dp before you did the hard reset you still get the dp functions like live tiles. But if new items come you do not get them because you did not activate dp.
So my best guess is that you have cyan.
To see if you are really on demin check the ms sites. (see wc artikels to get the link.

Ps if you really do not want dp than you must use the Lumia software recovery tool.
What you also can do is download the software recovery tool and hook your phone up. It will show which official firmware you have.
Hope above makes sense because it is kind of complicated.

Trix256

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I think you are right and I have cyan update. I will go back to preview for developers to get Lumia Black and I'll wait for Denim to come.

I have no problems using Preview for Developers as I love having the latest software or apps on my phone.
...That is until it something like this happens and I lose everything on my phone :(

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Exact same problem with my Lumia 920. It just started an hour ago. My power button stops working shortly after powering on, my touch screen keeps malfunctioning (goes crazy) and now my phone won't charge...

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I think you are right and I have cyan update. I will go back to preview for developers to get Lumia Black and I'll wait for Denim to come.

I have no problems using Preview for Developers as I love having the latest software or apps on my phone.
...That is until it something like this happens and I lose everything on my phone :(

Actually cyan is more uptodate than black. You see black was released abt this time last year with WP 8 gdr3. Then cyan came with Wp8.1 around June and now we are getting Denim which accompanies WP 8.1.1 :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon