Relatively inexpensive, unlocked Windows Phone with a good camera?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I am currently an iOS user, but my phone is locked and I am going to travel for about four months to Europe. I therefore want to get an unlocked phone. But since I am travelling, a good phone camera is indispensable. So which Windows phone should I be looking at?

I already use Outlook.com for mail, calendar and contacts. OneDrive is my cloud storage of choice. So in terms of services, I am going to be fine.

My needs:

1. Not terribly expensive
2. Decent enough camera (iPhone 5 quality and up)
3. Updatable to Windows 10 (if I am going to go to Windows Phone for a while I want in on the fun)
4. Decent enough battery life.
5. Google Maps (but I know I won?t be getting that right :D)

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't know what is expensive for you, but 735 have nice camera, for sure a lot better that iPhone 5s. Decent battery life and it does have Bimg maps which will serve you probanly better than gmaps (offline maps).
If not, go for 830, everything as 730, just a little bit better. Or some second hand 930, 1520, 1020...

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I posted without realising i wasnt logged. I have check the reviews the 830 seems like the more suitable option. Camera reviews were?t stella and I think the poster that said the 735s camera is better than the iPhone 5s is possibly wrong, as the 5s has a very good consistent camera. Reviews for the 735 expressed a lot of inconsistency, to begin with. The 830 looks compelling enough. The camera should be better as well.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What carrier are you on? Do they not have any travel plans you can take advantage of?

1. Not terribly expensive
2. Decent enough camera (iPhone 5 quality and up)
3. Updatable to Windows 10 (if I am going to go to Windows Phone for a while I want in on the fun)
4. Decent enough battery life.
5. Google Maps (but I know I won?t be getting that right :D)

1. Understandable if it is to be a throwaway, but why not a more capable phone you can recoup some $ on by selling it when you return home?
  2. The better the phone the better the camera experience as a general rule of thumb. If these are to be "treasured memories" photos why would you skimp?
  3. NOPE. STOP. DO NOT ENTER. Why would you strand yourself with a phone that may not work due to the vagaries of an OS in Beta status? Also the continual updates will be a giant PITA. I got off Preview for Developers before I went overseas for a month and ran an official ROM for just these reasons. Don't try and make yourself miserable.
  4. Take a battery recharge stick and carry it everywhere with you. Even my 1520 needed it a couple times. Your phone will get power user + hits to the battery as you rely on it for so many tasks AND take a hundred + pics a day.
  5. Here Maps with appropriate downloads got me EVERYWHERE with no problems.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
And now I wonder why it is you can't just get your iPhone unlocked? Tell your carrier you will be traveling. They should accommodate you.

My carrier would not oblige trust me. I would have to do it "under the table" so to speak. But i have been looking at reviews and i am toying with the 830 or 930. I travel frequently these, so while I have promised myself to never buy a phone on contract again, whichever WP phone i choose should be an interesting interesting experience.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you travel a lot... And I know coverage is an issue especially in the Rockies and west... Could you go T-Mobile?

With T-Mo's Simple Choice plan you automatically get free text and data in over 150 countries. I used it in Italy for 32 days and it was great. Data speeds were not LTE, but usually H+ and everything just works. No set up, no switching SIMS, no logging travel plans. Just go and use your phone.

Add Skype for calling and it only costs a minimal amount.

Something to think about for the future.

Lumia 830 seems like a solid all around phone. The 930 is a high end unit to be sure, but you won't get LTE when stateside... If it were me, I'd pick 830 for the microSD slot and the way less power hungry screen. 930 has a reputation for eating battery pretty quick.
Nokia Lumia 830 vs. Nokia Lumia 930 - GSMArena.com

The Factory Unlocked RM-985 Lumia 830 sold through B&H reports to be LTE compatible in the US by users in this forum.
Nokia Lumia 830 RM-985 16GB Smartphone A00021287 B&H Photo Video

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck