• Welcome to the all-new Windows Central Forums! - We're still moving some things around, so you may see a few quirks here and there, but we're working on getting things fully completed as soon as possible. For now, take a look around, and if you run into any major issues, please let us know in this thread!

Can I make Windows automatically use integrated graphics when on battery or USB-PD?

bkendig

Aug 3, 2015
I have Windows 11 on a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro AMD laptop with a GTX 3060 discrete GPU. When I'm not gaming and the 3060 is turned off, it uses Radeon integrated graphics. A 100W USB-PD power supply is plenty to keep it charged, and even on battery it lasts a good long time.

Problem is, if I then launch a game - even something which performs passably on integrated graphics - it uses the 3060, which consumes more power than USB-PD can provide. It switches over to battery and quickly eats up the charge. It seems that Windows's decision of "should I use the discrete GPU for this app?" is based on "is it a game?" and not "do I have enough power available?" Yes, I could go into System>Display>Graphics and manually change the game from High Performance to Power Saving each time, and then change it back when I'm using the huge power brick, but that's a hassle.

I would *like* Windows to be smart enough to see that I am not using the huge power brick and to therefore not use the power-hungry 3060 GPU. Is there any way (within Windows, or a third-party app) to automate this?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
@bkendig I have to ask, have you configured the power plan settings?

As what you are asking for - is handled by power plan settings.

bkendig

Aug 3, 2015
As what you are asking for - is handled by power plan settings.

I don't see it there; would you please point me to it more specifically? I don't see settings to say which GPUs (discrete and/or integrated) to allow in a specific power plan.

bkendig

Aug 3, 2015
I'm still looking for a way to do this, if anyone knows of a way. I haven't found anything for it in the power plan settings.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
I don't see it there; would you please point me to it more specifically? I don't see settings to say which GPUs (discrete and/or integrated) to allow in a specific power plan.

Hmm, I see unfortunately I don't have much experience with W11 on laptops.

My hp probook 4730s is not supported officially, though I planning to get a ssd for cheap on black friday sales and installing W11 then.

I'm presuming you have all the relevant AMD and Nvidia control panel software installed?

Then I guess your only option is to set up individual profiles for applications in each control panel software until Microsoft add the functionality or lenovo (through relevant driver updates).