Can I make Windows automatically use integrated graphics when on battery or USB-PD?

bkendig

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have Windows 11 on a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro AMD laptop with a GTX 3060 discrete GPU. When I'm not gaming and the 3060 is turned off, it uses Radeon integrated graphics. A 100W USB-PD power supply is plenty to keep it charged, and even on battery it lasts a good long time.

Problem is, if I then launch a game - even something which performs passably on integrated graphics - it uses the 3060, which consumes more power than USB-PD can provide. It switches over to battery and quickly eats up the charge. It seems that Windows's decision of "should I use the discrete GPU for this app?" is based on "is it a game?" and not "do I have enough power available?" Yes, I could go into System>Display>Graphics and manually change the game from High Performance to Power Saving each time, and then change it back when I'm using the huge power brick, but that's a hassle.

I would *like* Windows to be smart enough to see that I am not using the huge power brick and to therefore not use the power-hungry 3060 GPU. Is there any way (within Windows, or a third-party app) to automate this?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't see it there; would you please point me to it more specifically? I don't see settings to say which GPUs (discrete and/or integrated) to allow in a specific power plan.

Hmm, I see unfortunately I don't have much experience with W11 on laptops.

My hp probook 4730s is not supported officially, though I planning to get a ssd for cheap on black friday sales and installing W11 then.

I'm presuming you have all the relevant AMD and Nvidia control panel software installed?

Then I guess your only option is to set up individual profiles for applications in each control panel software until Microsoft add the functionality or lenovo (through relevant driver updates).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb