Why am I getting a message of a Critical Update download?

Husornhame

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Critical Update download

I have Nokia Lumia 620 Windows phone with windows 8.1 installed.
I keep getting a message saying a Critical Download will be downloaded when I connect to WiFi. There is no indication of what or for who the down load is for. I am reluctant to let it download. Anybody have any ideas?

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Critical Update download

Are you on preview for developers ? Last couple of updates from microsoft, was listed as critical and was there way of testing there servers with pushing the update out.

Husornhame

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
As I said why does it not say it is from Microsoft?
Please don't tell me only Microsoft can send messages like that. Not in this day and age of scammers, malware makers and trojan makers etc.
I have at least 32 update messages on my phone all claiming to be important.
One is from a battery sense app who wants my phone location before it updates. Is it going to report to the world where my phone and there is 85% battery left on it.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
As I said why does it not say it is from Microsoft?
Please don't tell me only Microsoft can send messages like that. Not in this day and age of scammers, malware makers and trojan makers etc.
I have at least 32 update messages on my phone all claiming to be important.
One is from a battery sense app who wants my phone location before it updates. Is it going to report to the world where my phone and there is 85% battery left on it.

You asked a question but every answers is not good enough. Then we can not help you . We are not Microsoft. Sorry

So I would suggest to ask Microsoft these questions.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I really hope Microsoft itself can answer your questions.

The only thing I can add is.

You belief that also someone else than microsoft can send you an "critical update".

If Microsoft would indicate that the "critical update" came from them then it is okay for you.

But if someone else could send you an update why couldn't they also say it was from Microsoft.

Marcos Buccella

May 31, 2014
Visit site

Only Microsoft (and the carriers) can send OS updates to your phone. Apps updates are different but the OS updates are manages by Microsoft. If you don't trust them, I think it's better for you to move to another platform

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Your answers don't answer the question therefor they are no good to me. Thanks for the replies though.
Welcome to Windows Phone. If you are coming from android or any other platforms, where you might have seen various messages / updates / crap coming to your phone, this might not be the case with your new phone. All system updates on WP are pushed by MS only, so you can install them. If you are not interested in updating your phone, go to settings > Phone Update and uncheck option that "Auto download updates" and "Tell me when updates are available" and you can enjoy the phone as it is. sometimes the updates are for critical fix, so it will force install on your phone after specified time.

Last edited:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

FAQ - Why do I see 'Critical update' notification on my Lumia phone? - Microsoft - UK
"Lumia Denim update brings important new features and other improvements to your phone, so we are strongly recommending that all the users install it. You can find more information about the update from Support - - Microsoft - USA ."

I have Nokia Lumia 620 Windows phone with windows 8.1 installed.
I keep getting a message saying a Critical Download will be downloaded when I connect to WiFi. There is no indication of what or for who the down load is for. I am reluctant to let it download. Anybody have any ideas?

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

You don't trust the update just because it does not say it's from Microsoft? Fine, disable updates by going to go to settings > Phone Update and uncheck option that "Auto download updates" and "Tell me when updates are available" and you'll be fine :) but bear in mind that at a certain time, the updates WILL force install themselves on your phone without seeking your permission. Like others have pointed out, this is not Android. ALL updates are from Microsoft. Lemme also mention that (for those of us on Developer Preview) most of the updates we got lately have all been tagged "critical".

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

No, everyone, you're all wrong. It should be obvious that someone reverse engineered the WP source code, hacked into Microsoft's update servers, then created malware for just the OP. JUST THE OP I TELL YOU. That's what had to have happened because that's what it would require.

My sister's iPhone got updated and all it said was security fixes, improved touch ID, and performance enhancements. IT DIDN'T SPECIFICALLY SAY THAT IT WAS FROM APPLE!!! #APPLEMICROSOFTHACKEDBYILLUMINATECONFIRMED

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For you to persist, you must now believe that everyone (or most everyone) at this site is somehow involved in the conspiracy to corrupt your phone...

The update will not harm your device. If you think it might... Use the tool found in this link from Microsoft. If you update to the latest official with this tool your "update now" messages will disappear. FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

You will, however, loose user data by doing such a reset. Whereas the OTA (Over The Air) update will take you to the same OS version without loosing data.

Over-the-air programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
after i updated my phone and i went to settings, i noticed that instead of "SMS+Calls block" there is a path @"C:/ [something i don't remember here]"
doing a hard reset now.

Husornhame

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

FAQ - Why do I see 'Critical update' notification on my Lumia phone? - Microsoft - UK
"Lumia Denim update brings important new features and other improvements to your phone, so we are strongly recommending that all the users install it. You can find more information about the update from Support - - Microsoft - USA ."

Thanks for your reply. It is the best one yet and makes more inclined to download the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2