What is a good "Starter" device for Windows Phone?

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Greets all,

I'll just come out and admit that I'm a big Android guy, typically using whatever Nexus device came out that year. However, recently I've become more curious about what Microsoft has been doing with it's Windows Phone OS and would like to try one. I briefly used a Nokia 920 helping a co-worker set it up and was intrigued enough to want to see more.

My question is what is a decent WP device that won't break the bank (I'm not looking for a "flagship" device here), but won't be so underpowered and cheaped out that the experience is degraded or just painful?

I use T-Mobile in the U.S. so it would have to be a GSM phone and it would be nice if it used a nano SIM that my current Nexus 6 uses, but that isn't a deal breaker if not... I can always go get it changed out.

I doubt I am going to completely "jump ship" on Android, but I wouldn't mind testing the waters so to speak. Thanks in advance!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A gently used T-MoUS branded Lumia 925 might be a good start. It's very similar to that 920 your coworker lent you and is arguably the best all-around Windows Phone of the last generation.

It would not cost much and would be 100% compatible with T-Mo including WiFi calling. It has a great camera especially in low-light-no-flash situations. The 1GB RAM means it qualifies for any App downloads...

Check out the specs here: Nokia Lumia 925 - Full phone specifications

Swappa might be a good place to start your search.

Edit: just get a nano to micro SIM adapter.

srcpt

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 635 for T-Mobile is less than $80 at Amazon and Walmart. I like mine. I use a nano sim (cut down from a micro) with an adapter. Just be very careful when removing not to catch and damage the contacts on the phone. I slide a thin piece of plastic under the sim before removing.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I recommend the Lumia 925, or if you want cheaper, the 635.

The 521 is super cheap now, and it'll work, but keep in mind its the cheapest phone and that the 635 replaces it.
The 530 is also on T-Mo, but is easily the worst of the bunch.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh hey it's the penguin from the smart watch site ! I would also recommend the 925 . Great camera , good screen ( if you like amoled ) and LTE

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh hey it's the penguin from the smart watch site ! I would also recommend the 925 . Great camera , good screen ( if you like amoled ) and LTE

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830
One and the same :) . Hopefully more wearables start working with Windows Phone!

Also thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
My 925 is stupid fast and just because it has an older SoC, the 1 GB RAM makes it fluid. I really believe Windows 10 will be optimized for phones with 1 GB RAM.

There's far more involved than just the amount of RAM. Like I said, it's a three year old SoC that already isn't getting features from Denim because it's too slow. If you're interested in Windows 10 and don't have a Windows Phone yet, I'd personally wait and see a few months to see what features are supported on what devices.

Mechuna

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Both the Lumia 535 and Lumia 830 are good options, imo. I'm using an unlocked L830 on T-Mobile and I always get H+ with pretty decent speeds. It has a better camera than the L535 and a sleeker design but specs are comparable otherwise so it all depends on what you're looking for/willing to pay.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Both the Lumia 535 and Lumia 830 are good options, imo. I'm using an unlocked L830 on T-Mobile and I always get H+ with pretty decent speeds. It has a better camera than the L535 and a sleeker design but specs are comparable otherwise so it all depends on what you're looking for/willing to pay.
Much appreciated... I am fine with a used device in this case and am seeing some 925's on eBay for around $100. Still looking around, of course... Thanks again for the feedback!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
An important point is that the OP is not looking for a new daily driver, but wants to check out the OS in a user friendly way. A new budget model would not be out of line due to price and the superior performance of WP on budget hardware vs Android on similar hardware constraints. However, a gently used device from the last gen might actually supply a better UX than a current budget model.

Those recommending a Lumia 830 with a tag of $450 USD are missing an important component of the OP's request. reasonable price, while (admirably) steering him toward a better experience overall.

@ Penguwin: Another thing to consider is, despite the dominance of Lumia in the Windows Phone market, they are not the totality of what is available. You might want to look at a Factory Unlocked Yezz or Blu as well.

Unlocked Phones - Microsoft Store U.S.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On that note, potential Preview for Developer's issues aside, one can probably find a Samsung ATIV S Neo for a great price these days online.

Also worth noting that the HTC 8X is a fine device, although both may be at the end of their official update rope, although the Windows 10 Insider program might cover that completely.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
@ Penguwin: Another thing to consider is, despite the dominance of Lumia in the Windows Phone market, they are not the totality of what is available. You might want to look at a Factory Unlocked Yezz or Blu as well.

Unlocked Phones - Microsoft Store U.S.

Excellent suggestion! I actually wasn't even aware these phones were available with Windows Phone!
On that note, potential Preview for Developer's issues aside, one can probably find a Samsung ATIV S Neo for a great price these days online.

Also worth noting that the HTC 8X is a fine device, although both may be at the end of their official update rope, although the Windows 10 Insider program might cover that completely.
Used to like HTC's hardware, so that might be worth a look! Thanks again!

Awesome suggestions & feedback, All!

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Seems like at this point, a 635 would be the perfect starter, since it was one of the first to get the preview, and it's very inexpensive.
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but wanted to follow up here. A local computer / electronics store is closing its doors and I ended up getting a 635 for about $36 USD (brand new in box). I was originally hesitant due to the 512 MB of RAM, but Microsoft themselves have posted that this model *will* be getting a Windows 10 upgrade... So that (and the price) sold it for me.

A big thanks again to everyone that chimed in and helped me take this first step into the Windows Phone world! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes