Quick test of replacement LCD not giving results, can I get some help please?

Abdullah Usman

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Quick test of replacement LCD not giving results.

My phone's screen died. The backlight to be precise. The touch works fine, and even the screen in fact if I look at it under bright light, shows information. I want to replace it. I went and bought a replacement. Opened up the unibody, unplugged the batter flex and the one below it.

My question is:

Can I just unplug my current screen's flex (display flex, top left corner) and plug in the replacement's flex, and check? Because when I do it, nothing happens. The screen doesn't come on, neither do the capacitive keys (they light up on the current display if connected). The touch works fine though and so do the keys (I can invoke Cortana etc using the search key for example)

I am wondering if the only thing that connects the display unit (touch plus LCD) to the main board is that single flex, or are there other contacts that are used when the phone is completely put together. Because the screens I've tested (several) didn't light up at all, just the touch worked.

This would really help because I could then buy a screen and finally get down to the complete required disassembly (which isn't that simple or easy) and rest assured before doing so that my replacement screen works.

A possible reason that the vendors I went to buy the LCD's from gave me was that this might be a version conflict. Though I feel the hardware for these phones is the same. And the only version conflict I have come across would result in the touch refusing to function. The screen would always work (eg Lumia 620 after Lumia Black update) My phone was bought from Saudi Arabia (EMEA) and I am currently and indefinitely in India where I'm trying to get a replacement LCD that works.

Any expert help on this would be really really helpful.

PS: I know I could post this in the Lumia 1520 forum, but I'm posting it here in hopes of getting a quick reply as I am sadly pressed for time with my only phone I use for everything including work, not having a working screen. Cortana is really my assistant as she is the only way I use my phone at the moment.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Quick test of replacement LCD not giving results.

When similar thing happened with my 820, I noticed it never lit up until I put the complete phone body in original shape.

Abdullah Usman

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Quick test of replacement LCD not giving results.

Thanks for the response, but can you or anyone please tell me of the internal circuitry or design that affects the working of the LCD of the 1520? I want to know exactly what part it is that is responsible for the light and data input to the LCD from the main board.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon