Which phone should I get as an emergency phone, the HTC One M8 or Lumia 830?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Emergency phone buy - HTC One M8 or Lumia 830

Was hoping to wait until next gen Nokia Flagship, but I dropped my Lumia 920, shattered the glass, and cannot even swipe off the lock screen. It seems like there aren't many Windows phones out there.

Should I get the 830 to tide me over for a year or two?

Should I get the HTC? My wife had the Android version and liked it. What apps do I lose by not getting Nokia? Drive? Maps?

Or should i go back to iPhone..... shudder.

heli0m

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Emergency phone buy - HTC One M8 or Lumia 830

I wish I can source other threads, but someone replaced their Lumia 1520 with an iPhone 6 and then sold their iPhone for a decent amount of cash leftover after buying themselves a used 1520. This might be a route you can take in case a flagship comes by that you deem worthy. :)
Besides, iPhone have such a great resell value.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

There are a couple of factors you need to consider:
First is OEM: Understand that anything outside the Lumia series isn't dealing directly with MSFT which mean updates, availability, and upgrades.
Price: The Lumia 830 is cheaper especially with a promotion going on.
Upgrade: Remember the word on the street is Windows 10 will be coming to all Lumia devices running 8.1. While this does not mean that the M8 won't get Windows 10, it could mean a delay.
Personally I've owned an HTC Trophy (Windows phone 7) and a Lumia 920 and 1520. The Lumia brand just seems like it embraces the Windows ecosystem more.

jmkid

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

I went with the HTC One M8 (free on Verizon with contract) after recently losing my Lumia 820. It's an outstanding phone but you do loose the Lumia apps and the glance screen. Here drive+ and maps work on it though. I considered the Lumia 830 as well at $69.99 on AT&T contract but the HTC seemed like a much more capable phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss