What does this screen mean??

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
(PROBLEM SOLVED)

I was trying to install TP update 10136, then the phone got stuck on the spinning cogs. And now this. What does this mean?

Untitled-1.jpg

p.s- Software recovery tool isn't working. It just says "Package not available for this phone".
Any way you can download a "package" on WP and install it manually or sth??

UPDATE (PROBLEM SOLVED!!):: I did some research, and it turns out, that screen shows up when you boot your phone in FFU mode. FFU mode is used when you want to flash an image/ROM into your phone. Which is exactly what i had to do to fix my problem, cause nothing else was working.

To whom it may concern, How to flash a ROM

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It means "Oh God you really did something, didn't you?" except it doesn't really mean that.
Have you tried installing the Windows Phone Recovery Tool onto your computer and using that? Install it, open it, and THEN plug your phone in.
Alternative method, have you tried a manual hard reset using the buttons? You probably need to roll back to Windows Phone 8.1 then jump to 10149 but a hard reset might work.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try a Soft Rest first... If no, then use a Hard Reset.

Is it the 525?

Last resort. Power down > remove SD card and battery > attach to PC via USB cable > hold Volume Down Button and insert Battery > now try the recovery tool

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried installing the Windows Phone Recovery Tool onto your computer and using that? Install it, open it, and THEN plug your phone in.
Alternative method, have you tried a manual hard reset using the buttons? You probably need to roll back to Windows Phone 8.1 then jump to 10149 but a hard reset might work.
Hard reset - yes.
WP Recovery Tool - yes. In every way i could think of; after the usual way failed; (open app then plug phone in / plug phone in then open app/ plug phone in, open app, unplug phone, plug phone back in)

It looks like it's bricked, but i'm really hoping to find the ONE person, if any, who might have a solution.

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Try a Soft Rest first... If no, then use a Hard Reset.

Is it the 525?

Last resort. Power down > remove SD card and battery > attach to PC via USB cable > hold Volume Down Button and insert Battery > now try the recovery tool

Yes it's the 525. Ok i'll try the last resort. I'll let you know.

Update: Yeah....nothing. Still the same message :(

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's way more difficult to actually brick a device than a lot of people think. My guess is that you have to keep trying at the Recovery Tool and find that tiny window where the computer detects your phone.

Is ROM flashing an option? I did it on two android phones of my brother, and it was quite easy. I'm guessing it's not gonna be as easy on a WP, but is it possible at all??

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately for me, that didn't work. Coincidentally Daniel had posted that within an hour of my phone getting into this rut, so i tried it right away. No luck.

I've found an article on XDA developers about flashing ROM on Lumia devices. I've gone through 50% of it. Currently downloading the ROM. So, hoping this would work. In the same article i found out that the lightning+gears screen means you've booted your phone in the FFU mode, which is a necessary step in the ROM flashing process.

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who replied. I solved the problem by flashing the default image (ROM) using a tutorial i found (link in the main post). And now my phone is up and running again. Lost the data, but nothing important, everything was backed up.

Flashing a ROM isn't the first thing that comes to mind, because WP is so restricted. But turns out it's easier than on android. So if anyone is interested I've updated the main post with the link. If your phone is bricked, or nothing else is working, this could be a last resort. Do it at your own risk though.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes