What is the criteria for Windows 10 on-screen keyboard to show up when control is touched?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

What is criteria for windows 10 on-screen keyboard to show up when control is touched

I have Win 32 bit app written in Delphi XE. Windows 10 is set to tablet mode. When I touch edit boxes or memo boxes on my app, keyboard does not appear. It only appears if I touch a password field e.g. edit control with password char set to *. When I run notepad.exe and touch it - keyboard appears. But not for any editable controls on my app ... except for password fields... What is the trick here?

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: What is criteria for windows 10 on-screen keyboard to show up when control is touched

I encountered the same issue after upgrading my Acer tablet from 8.1 to 10 too. There's an option to show the keyboard when you touch an input field in the Settings app under Devices.

Raymond Brady

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone been able to solve this issue? I have a winforms app that has the same behaviour. When I select a textbox with passwordchar assigned the Windows 10 keyboard on my tablet will display. But, selecting any other textbox will not display the keyboard.

I have also turned on the "show touch keyboard" feature in settings but that did not solve the issue.

Raymond Brady

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
I was able to create a stable working solution for my winforms application on windows 10 using TabTip.exe

TabTip.exe is the executable that launches the on screen keyboard in windows 10. It is located in:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink

I simply launch the TabTip process and close the process as needed. This opens and closes the on-screen keyboard. This approach could be used in most any platform, as long as you can start and stop processes. My application has limited text entry fields so this approach works fine in my situation. It might not be ideal in many scenarios.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6