How Can I Modify Windows 10's Start Menu Search to Be More Like Windows 7's for System/Admin Tools?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

In Windows 7 (PC or Tablet), I could hit the windows key, start typing and reliably find what I'm looking for -- right down to specific system settings. In Windows 8.1 and 10, I noticed that some results (particularly control panel settings and specific system settings) no longer show up and it takes several subfolders and clicks for me to manually find them.

Example: In Windows 7, typing "format disk" brings up the control panel option "create and format hard disk partitions." Typing "power" brings up "Power Options / Change Power Settings." "Network" brings up a number of network settings for quick access. "Display" brings up a number of display settings. This also worked in Windows 8.0, but in Windows 8.1 and 10, none of these searches yield relevant results anymore.

I considered downloading Classic Shell or switching to Start10, but is there any way I can improve Windows 10's start menu search to include control panel items and more system settings, without resorting to third-party options?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon