What folder structure do I create in the OneDrive Music folder?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello Members
When moving whole albums of songs that I have bought from XBox music store over to my OneDrive Music folder, how should the folders be created for and artist and there album, so that the XBox music phone app (Groove) see the albums and stream them directly from my OneDrive music folder.

I. e Say I had 2 UB40 albums, one called TwentyFourSeven, the other Dub Sessions, how would I save both these albums correctly in my OneDrive music folder?

Help would be great please

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm no expert because I don't stream my music off OneDrive...

I would assume you simply make Music Folder in OneDrive. Then you copy over the folders as they appear in your Music folder on your PC. This assumes you let a program like Media Player index them first...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you can do whatever the heck you want. (probably want to make sure the tags are good)

I personally do Music/Artist/Album/Song

or Music/Artist/Song
Music/Soundtrack Name/Song
Music/Song if its the only one of its kind.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
So in other words you can have one folder for the artist, and then many folders for all there albums, am I correct on this?

Yeah.. Actually, folder structure doesn't matter, you can put all the songs in Music folder in OneDrive, no folders, and Groove will read the ID3 tag and group them accordingly. One disadvantage I found in this model is, album art won't shows up (or shows up wrong), since Groove can't read the album art embedded in song, it can only shows album art located in the folder (it's a hidden picture file), so having each album in it's own folder definitely help if your song files are properly tagged (which you should have if you bought it legally).

Note that back in Windows 8.1, Xbox music will automatically identify and display the correct ID3 tag and album art from Xbox music database, but seems like it doesn't work for me and Groove will only display ID3 tag that locally saved in the file. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature.

Also, RIP my English.

Livio Coccia

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help on this, now I know what I can do from all the advice that I've been given.

I can now start to download my music albums from my Google Play music account, and bring them into my OneDrive music folder.

I'm aiming to get everything into my OneDrive Cloud Storage, ready for the next big Windows phone 10 update.

Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills