Can I get some help with a Windows 10 upgrade question?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 upgrade question!

I currently use WMC. I have tried every other Media Center and none do what I used WMC for. If I upgrade to Windows 10, then rollback to Windows 8 a) will I still have WMC? b) Will I then be able to reinstall Windows 10 at a later date(free) if a suitable media center is developed?

Note: I use WMC to play all my photos(randomly) from a single folder using transitions and displaying Photo title, while playing all of my music folder (randomly) with song title and artist fading in and out at the beginning and end of each tune. If anyone knows of a media center I have missed that will do this, I would be grateful for the tip!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 upgrade question!

I can say this: if things work the way you want them to right now, don't change anything. I know the temptation of upgrading to Windows 10 is high, but if you do, you are going to lose WMC. If you roll back to win8, you should be able to get it back, (that's not a promise!) but why go through all that trouble of re-installing everything and risk not being able to get back what you have. If it's not broken - don't fix it!

With that said though, and I've never really used WMC all that much for anything myself, and I'm not sure if it'll give you the same exact experience you're wanting, or are used to, but PLEX is an amazing media center. It's origins come from XBMC (Xbox Media Center), where some of the contributors and programmers of the former, decided to fork and start their own program and PLEX was born. I've been using it for a few years now, and have never looked back. They have the free server applications for the PC (and even a specialized server application for an HTPC/dedicated living room/tv PC ) and then they have their client apps for just about any type of device you can imagine. (The client apps can range between free, to $4.99 but are worth every penny!)

My suggestion would be to try PLEX with your current OS and setup. If your happy with the way it works, then you can upgrade to Windows 10 as PLEX works great with Windows 10!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes