Are there unbiased studies available to assess the usability of Andriod, iPhone, Windows Phone?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

1) Are there unbiased Human Computer Interaction studies done by anyone to assess the usability of the UX designs adopted by these three OSes?

2) Which of these scores in terms of usability?
Which of these is a more natural way to interact with phones?

3) I mean, people are often biased by market share of the device (Android), premium image (iPhone), high number of apps (Android / iPhone), bad image of the desktop OS (Windows Phone), low number of apps (Windows Phone)

4) Do you think a completely new UX paradigm for phone will rule the future?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Very interesting questions.
Here are my 2 cents.
The only know about studies about the use of smartphones. Like accidents when using smartphones in traffic. And recently i saw a article from a, I think an Australian doctor, about the use of smartphones and children with backbones which tend to grow "curved" because of the "unnatural" body position when using smartphones.
Furthermore i saw an article that warned about the use of smartphones/tablets by "young" children because if you use them and the "game" is too "difficult" they switch to another "game" so they do not "learn" to persis.
Or about people who get "withdrawal symptoms" if they can not "use" their smartphones.
So i do not think that one UI or another prevents above issues.

Furthermore "people" do not "like" changes so I think a "totally" new UI will have a difficulty to be adopted. ( a little off topic but the QWERTY keyboards we use on laptops and PC's are basically from the typewriter "age" and the letters (mechanical parts) will not get stuck when you type fast. In other words the letters we use most are placed far from each other. So basically not "natural" to types "fast" on keyboards. But we still use QWERTY keyboards )

So a "natural" UI for a smartphone is actual "not" possible because during human evolution there where no smartphones.

But things like speech recognition, 3D touch, and hololens/google glass and "brainwave detectors" will get more and more adopted so these will "create" a new UI.

I am not sure if this answers your question but at least it may give another angle to your questions.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
1. Humans are biased by nature! That's a given fact and there is absolutely no way around it. Granted, some are more biased than others; some even have an agenda. However, there is no such thing as an unbiased study. It always comes down to familiarity and preferences. Just have a look at people (family / friends) around you: every single one of them will prefer different things and will struggle with things where another person just excels.

2. This ties into #1 and, probably, there is no "one-size-fits-all" natural way of interacting. Again, it comes down to what the user is familiar with. Everything else will be unnatural to him and therefore 2nd choice.

3. People simply don't take the time to educate themselves and just go with what everyone else has. Besides that, a whole lot of folks think if something costs more, it is better. If the item they purchased doesn't work for them, they simply will blame it on themselves being too stupid to understand it rather than saying "This $1000.00 product sucks!" ...

4. I don't think that it is the UX that makes or breaks the popularity of a device. Have a look at Android: if you ignore the Google services, it looks and functions a lot like Windows Mobile from back in the days. Here you could say that Microsoft was 10 years too early but I don't think that's the case. People will adapt to whatever is popularized by marketing departments and their tech-savvy friends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes