How do I get my rid of Red X on sound icon?

W

WPCentral Question

I have a red X on my sound icon. I have a Sony VAIO, don't know model number the stickers unreadable. My first thought was updating the drivers but that does not work because my audio device isn't found in device manager. Then I thought maybe it was disabled or uninstalled so I went to Sound options and only found that my HDMI audio was listed. I right-clicked to show hidden and disabled devices but nothing popped up. I even tried a system restore but that only fixed the problem temporarily. Once I turn my computer off, the next time I turn it on the red X is back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Does changing the sound volume (either by using a key combination or by sliding the volume level up or down) fix the issue? In my Samsung Laptop, that does the trick - worked both for Windows 7 and now in Windows 10 (although it doesn't happen frequently now).

You may create a Windows Central account to Reply in this thread.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
A red X on the sound icon (speaker icon in the system tray) means that the sound is currently "muted." To unmute the sound, you may have a specialized key on your keyboard, or you can click on the speaker icon and adjust the volume there.

It is possible that there is another issue causing it, but this is the "most likely" culprit I can think of without further information.

druben22

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
The volume keys on the laptop do do anything when pressed. I can't change the volume via the sound icon because when I press it Windows trouble shooter starts, and like always finds no errors/solutions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos