Updating Nokia Lumia 920 to W10 preview? Should I?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I'm planning on updating my Nokia Lumia 920 to Windows 10 preview through Windows Insider app. What are your suggestion should I do it or it's not worth it??
The thing is I'm really bored of Windows 8.1 coz I've been using this phone from Feb 2013. I did try it a year ago through fast ring option and phone got bricked n had to use the recovery tool to revive it but at that time battery timing was a huge issue on w10. W10 was a good experience but it didn't synced back my messages from the Microsoft account backup so I used it for a few hours and than reinstalled 8.1 and got them back. I did like the new features in 10 which are missing from 8.1 and they are pretty basic features but makes your life hell of a lot easier.
Because of that experience I wanna get all the advice I can before making a big step.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I'm finding Threshold builds on Lumia 640 Insider Release Ring and Lumia 1520 Official very stable. Good battery life and few glitches all of which got worked out. YMMV

If you use Insider on the Release Ring, the same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx):
Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

If your phone is not on the supported list, then 10586.xxx (Threshold) is the end of the line. You may as well use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

If your phone is on the eligible list and you go Insider and stay on the Release ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I put WxM on my 920 and didn't like it at all. It was pretty slow and glitchy. Others have had less problems, but that's my personal experience. Instead of reverting to WP8.1 I bought a L650 and it runs much faster and smoother than the 920 did on the same OS.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Did you hard reset? Sometimes on a major upgrade a hard reset will clear any data that could potentially remain during the up grade process. Settings>about>scroll down>reset my device. That should cure your ills.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Did you hard reset? Sometimes on a major upgrade a hard reset will clear any data that could potentially remain during the up grade process. Settings>about>scroll down>reset my device. That should cure your ills.

As an IT guy, first thing I do is turn it off on and on again lol Did a soft reset, then a hard reset, didn't help. Then I got my 650 and haven't bothered touching my 920 since.

Yoosuf Belal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920, it is not supported for the Windows 10 Mobile update. So I left it on Windows Phone 8.1 update Denim.
The 920 experience on win10 is not great as the phone only has a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4+ dual core processor which isn't powerful enough to run all features of win10.
I now own the 950xl, and 1520. They all run win10 very smoothly because they have much more power from the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad core processor family.
I would advice to buy a more powerful Windows Phone that is able to run win10 with no problems.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs