So, I bought a Surface Pro 3 and it came with Windows 10. I have experience the top right quarter of the surface getting very hot and the battery life is awful. I read online that all these problems are most likely because of Windows 10, not the Surface itself. Well, with the recent update, the hotness doesn't really happen with normal use but it still happens if you close the surface (idle). Would downgrading to Windows 8.1 help these issues? Is it even possible with my situation?
    05-11-2016 04:16 PM
    So, I bought a Surface Pro 3 and it came with Windows 10. I have experience the top right quarter of the surface getting very hot and the battery life is awful. I read online that all these problems are most likely because of Windows 10, not the Surface itself. Well, with the recent update, the hotness doesn't really happen with normal use but it still happens if you close the surface (idle). Would downgrading to Windows 8.1 help these issues? Is it even possible with my situation?
    if you go to settings > system >battery, can you check which apps are using the most battery? And what kind of state uses the most battery?
    You can also check which apps can run in the background and disable the ones you don't need

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-12-2016 05:41 AM
    Since your device shipped with W10M, you do not have a license for 8.1. You could purchase a license and downgrade, but that has risks of its own.

Sounds like you are having issues getting the device to sleep properly.

Please check this FAQ page: Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    05-12-2016 01:22 PM