Nokia Lumia 640 - "App needs attention"

Jude Cross

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
This problem sort of started out when my Sims Freeplay app needed to update, but my phone was saying I didn't have enough space (which it was incorrect about, I found out later). So, after a while, I got ahold of an 8 GB memory card and put it in the phone.

After moving the app to the card, it seemed to begin updating fine until it started doing what my phone is doing now. Eventually it said "We're having trouble installing this app. If this is the first time you've seen this message, go ahead and try again. If the app still won't install, go to your Phone Update settings to make sure your phone software is up to date."

I got frustrated and decided to delete the app entirely, ridding me of this issue. Thought nothing of it after that.

However, now I am trying to download other games and it's giving me the same messages. I've tried restarting my phone and checking to make sure my phone is up to date. While I think Windows 10 is out for mobile, obviously it's not out for my version because the phone says it's up to date.

Is the phone incorrect and is there something I need to do in order to push the Win10 update to my phone or is there something else going on here? Thanks for any suggestions.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This problem sort of started out when my Sims Freeplay app needed to update, but my phone was saying I didn't have enough space (which it was incorrect about, I found out later). So, after a while, I got ahold of an 8 GB memory card and put it in the phone.

After moving the app to the card, it seemed to begin updating fine until it started doing what my phone is doing now. Eventually it said "We're having trouble installing this app. If this is the first time you've seen this message, go ahead and try again. If the app still won't install, go to your Phone Update settings to make sure your phone software is up to date."

I got frustrated and decided to delete the app entirely, ridding me of this issue. Thought nothing of it after that.

However, now I am trying to download other games and it's giving me the same messages. I've tried restarting my phone and checking to make sure my phone is up to date. While I think Windows 10 is out for mobile, obviously it's not out for my version because the phone says it's up to date.

Is the phone incorrect and is there something I need to do in order to push the Win10 update to my phone or is there something else going on here? Thanks for any suggestions.

To get windows 10 mobile: How to update your older Windows Phone to Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Jude Cross

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I am the original poster.

I previously downloaded the Upgrade Advisor app and it continuously told me that, while Win10 was available for my phone, that details were being worked out with my "carrier" in order to get the update pushed to my phone.

However, if anything has changed now, I wouldn't know because I deleted the app in order to make more space for Sims Freeplay and now I can't download it again because of the issues stated in this question.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am the original poster.

I previously downloaded the Upgrade Advisor app and it continuously told me that, while Win10 was available for my phone, that details were being worked out with my "carrier" in order to get the update pushed to my phone.

However, if anything has changed now, I wouldn't know because I deleted the app in order to make more space for Sims Freeplay and now I can't download it again because of the issues stated in this question.

so two things - try the upgrade advisor and see if it is now available

Second option is to use the insider program to get windows 10 by bypassing the carrier. Windows Insider (Phone) | Windows Central

Jude Cross

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
As previously stated, I cannot download the upgrade advisor. Cannot. I can't download any app at all. None. All because every app I download, no matter what it is, all say the same thing.

So I can't exactly solve the problem if the solution includes downloading anything to the phone because that's the issue itself. I can not download anything.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
As previously stated, I cannot download the upgrade advisor. Cannot. I can't download any app at all. None. All because every app I download, no matter what it is, all say the same thing.

So I can't exactly solve the problem if the solution includes downloading anything to the phone because that's the issue itself. I can not download anything.

sorry, I wasn't reading everything carefully.
can you try installing apps without the sd card?
If that doesn't work, you'll have to do a hard reset and then start over.

Jude Cross

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Okay. I took SD card out and the Upgrade Advisor app downloaded fine. I checked the update status and it says, and I quote, "Good news! Your phone is eligible for upgrade to Windows 10. We are working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available for your phone and you'll see a notification when it's ready."

So, I guess if I want to upgrade, I will have to do the Windows Insider, but I really don't want to do that because it warns that it may ruin your entire phone and I cannot afford to get another one. Is the update the issue with using the SD card? Because not sure why my phone has such little memory and option to use SD card if it's just going to refuse to download apps when I have one in there.

Just really confused since the system files take up half my available memory and an SD card is the only viable option to have more than necessary apps. :(

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay. I took SD card out and the Upgrade Advisor app downloaded fine. I checked the update status and it says, and I quote, "Good news! Your phone is eligible for upgrade to Windows 10. We are working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available for your phone and you'll see a notification when it's ready."

So, I guess if I want to upgrade, I will have to do the Windows Insider, but I really don't want to do that because it warns that it may ruin your entire phone and I cannot afford to get another one. Is the update the issue with using the SD card? Because not sure why my phone has such little memory and option to use SD card if it's just going to refuse to download apps when I have one in there.

Just really confused since the system files take up half my available memory and an SD card is the only viable option to have more than necessary apps. :(

My suggestion would be to use the insider app:
Install it, select release ring and then check for updates. It would help if you do a back up before starting the update. Also try to remove apps before updating to clear up some space. You can always add them back
Do the update, check for updates, do the update until no more updates are available. Make sure to choose release ring in the insider app

Once OS update is done, do system app updates starting with store app update
Once that is done, install apps that you want and then after adding apps and everything has settled down, add your sd card.
Finally, go back to insider app and select production ring so you only get official updates for windows 10 and not insider builds

Production or release ring is very safe as a way of upgrading to windows 10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2