Restoring Settings/Apps when switching phones

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I will be switching from a dead Lumia 521 that died to a new Lumia 640 LTE on built a T-Mobile prepaid account. As far as I know, the old phone was set to back up regularly.

I will be debranding the unlocked ATT 640 and flash it to the T-Mobile ROM. My understanding is that when I turn the phone on with the old T-mobile SIM the old settings and apps won't come to the new phone, but that I have to restore them myself.

What I need to know is how -- is the restoring facility built into the phone, or do I need to download some utility from the store? Also, will all settings and apps be transferred or will I have to reinstall some?

Thanks.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
When you first setup the phone and log into your Microsoft account the phone will prompt you to restore a backup. Select the most recent.

Apps will be reinstalled providing it was Windows Phone 8.1 on the 521. I don't think 8.0 backed up those.

Settings are a mix. You may find some apps stored settings in the roaming profile in which case they will restore, but things like game progress generally are lost.

Accounts should be re-added but you'll need to login again. And hopefully you had Calendar and Contact sync on in which case all of that will just work too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon