Trouble cleaning up limited storage on Lumia 550

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Data storage keeps telling me that I have limited storage left, and that I need to clear some space. All photos, videos etc are already going to the SD card. However when I look in Data Storage it tells me that 1.5GB is being using by the Photo App (on the device). However, if I connect my phone device to my PC, file explorer shows an empty folder for Pictures/Camera Roll. How do I truly find where all this data is being used so I can free up some space?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Try changing the sync settings on your email to download email from the last 3 days and then sync again. (Settings->email+accounts->manage->sync settings)

Also try deleting some texts as well too.

Dan Kershaw

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Sorry - but this isn't about email or email sync settings. This is about my phone telling me that the Photos app is consuming 1.5GB of device storage. However I see no way to fix this, or see the photos that are eating device storage.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hmm that's odd. I suggested the email tip because emails do and can take up storage if you have a lot of emails you are downloading.

Do you have anything on OneDrive? You would know if the photos are on OneDrive by the little cloud symbol on the picture.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi I usually don't reply on Phone threads, but I'm bored and curious. Isn't there a way to see what's taking up the space on your phone. I know exactly what's taking up space on my computer. I'm a search maniac. Here's what I found. If this does not pertain to this issue, please disregard.:smile:
Five Ways to Free Up Space on Your Android Device
There's a Storage app that the OP went to. That app shows storage broken down but it doesn't always show contents.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
There's a Storage app that the OP went to. That app shows storage broken down but it doesn't always show contents.
OK I don't know squat about Phones. I'll just watch and try to learn!:wink: I added another link to my above reply!
I'm trying to learn, so bear with me. Is there not a 3rd party software that can show these things?

Last edited:

Dan Kershaw

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Exactly - the phone's Storage app shows that the Phone app uses 1.5GB. However it does not break things down further. If I go through all the photos on the device, they are either stored on the SD card OR in the cloud in OneDrive. None of them show as being stored on the device's drive. However, as I said, the Storage app says I'm using up 1.5GB. If I connect the phone to my PC, file explorer shows the device drive as being empty. Any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6