Going from 32-64 bit problem

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello. So recently I checked out the option of upgrading to 64 bit because my friend who I got this computer from said his dad installed 32 over 64. Saw the article here to look at System Type and if it says "Under System type, you will see two pieces of information: if it says 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor, then it means that your PC is running a 32-bit version of Windows 10 on a 64-bit processor." And it says exactly that when I look at it. However right after I noticed it said alternatively you can check System Info, which I did and it's saying "x86-based PC". So I literally have a paradox going on, they both can't be right obviously and I don't want to screw my computer up. Any clarification would be great!

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If you are talking about Windows, the version of your system should be in the "About" page under settings. For me it says 64 bit system on x64 based processor (Intel Core i5 7600). If you are in doubt you can open "Run" and type in "dxdiag". This will open a window with your basic system information, including the version of your OS.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
You don't have a paradox going on. You have a 32-bit OS (denoted by x86) installed on a 64-bit processor (denoted by x64). Hope this clears things up.

If you want to move from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system, you will need to do a clean install.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta