Hi - I have a Dell Win 8.0 desktop which OS was upgraded to v.8.1 which I ran until MS offered the free Win 10 upgrade in 2016. Paid a technical service to do both upgrades (as I'm not that confident in those skills). Last night I was told by another tech from same company that he is "certain [my] PC is running Windows 8.0". (Just verified "This PC" screen and that IS what it still shows.)

My question, then, is: (a) How can I validate which OS my PC has on it right now? (b) Does the "This PC" screen automatically update itself with every OS upgrade?

I guess a follow-up question would be: What path could I take and/or recourse do I have with a technical support company if I have been royally "screwed"?

Thank you for your time; I look forward to your kind response and receipt of helpful information.

- Rocky Mountain Gal
    07-07-2017 08:41 AM
    I am assuming you are talking about the System Properties thing, in which you right click on This PC and select Properties.

Here is what it looks like on a Windows 10 computer:

capture.png

It clearly says Windows 10.

This is an example of a Windows 8.1 computer:

systemproperties.jpg
    It says Windows 8 in cyan, but to the left it will distinguish whether it is truly Windows 8/8.1.

Alternatively:

If you push the start button this is what Windows 10 looks like unmodified: (also note the presence of a search bar in the lower left, which is not there in 8.x.

windows-10-start-menu.png

And in 8.1:

screenshot-2.png

As for recourse, if the upgrade they claimed to do was not done, I would take what documentation I had and request a refund. And stick to the facts, keep it simple and disregard any jargon that might be thrown your way. And maybe bring backup.
    07-07-2017 10:57 AM