Backup Ringtone

anon(5327207)

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

Today is a Sad day, My daughter is retiring her Nokia Lumia 920, running Windows 8.x. I picked her up a new Lumina 950.

Sadly, we are unable to recover her vast amount to ringtones on the 920. I have plugged the unit into my computer and accessed the Ringtone folder and it is empty. I have since looked at 4 other Lumia in the house, 940's and 950's and the Ringtone fold is empty on everyone's.

Yes I have show hidden files turned on in my file explorer.

Does anyone have an idea how to recover them? Thank You.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like an issue with your PC. Check the folders with the Windows file browser on the phone itself (download from store for free). Can that see them? They are in that ringtone folder and not at all hidden.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
So, the Windows file browser running directly on your phone, with no PC involved at all, cannot see the ringtones on any of your phones? Yet those same phones can show, select and play back those ring tones when you try to use them? If that's happening across all your devices all I can suggest is you contact your local UFO group because for sure there is some form of influence going on here.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
One thought, are you sure we're talking about manually added CUSTOM ring tones here? The built in ones do not show in the folder and cannot be copied off. You could probably find somewhere online to download them.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If your daughter used apps to create custom tones then other than interop unlocking to gain access to the system or root folders would not be possible. As some of these apps save the ringtones in this location, they are fairly harmless and wouldn't be allowed in the store if they were not.

One example is Melodia, the early versions saved the ringtones to the user accessible custom folder but later versions started saving them in the system directory or the ringtone folder in the root of the drive.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If your daughter used apps to create custom tones then other than interop unlocking to gain access to the system or root folders would not be possible. As some of these apps save the ringtones in this location, they are fairly harmless and wouldn't be allowed in the store if they were not.

One example is Melodia, the early versions saved the ringtones to the user accessible custom folder but later versions started saving them in the system directory or the ringtone folder in the root of the drive.

Based on this, and MS not allowing apps deep access to the filesystem, the ringtones, in theory, should be in an accessible folder. From what I read, that is the Ringtones folder. If nothing is there you may not be able to backup any of the custom ringtones, sadly.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Based on this, and MS not allowing apps deep access to the filesystem, the ringtones, in theory, should be in an accessible folder. From what I read, that is the Ringtones folder. If nothing is there you may not be able to backup any of the custom ringtones, sadly.

That's not the only oversight with Windows phone sadly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3