05-15-2018 11:22 AM
66 123
tools
    Hey man! Honestly I have always been a Google user and I am deeply rooted into their ecosystem, I started using windows services primarily because my work e-mail in my previous company was on outlook and hence I started using MS services. I found Google services easily executable than MS or iOS worksuite for that matter.

To answer your question I would suggest getting an Android because its better to be dependent on an open community rather than to be trapped behind the iOS garden.
    03-06-2018 10:51 PM
    The answer is YES to all.
    03-06-2018 10:52 PM
    I try to stay in the Microsoft world as much as possible, but Win10Mobile has become unreliable (Spotify hardly ever works, Bluetooth is touch and go). I'm not sure i'm going to switch just yet, BUT if i did, which one keeps me as close to Microsoft as possible? Or does it really make any difference?
    I have a Galaxy Note 8 I bought after breaking my Lumia 950. I'm pretty excited about swapping with a buddy today for his 950XL. I can't speak to iOS, but it takes me a few swipes longer to do everything on the Android than in Windows. Android has more stuff, clearly, so if you like more stuff - Android wins. If you like simple and clean, hard to beat WP10. I've had no BT issues. My car can invoke Cortana, but on Android "OK Google", or "Hi Bixby" only comes over the phone speaker and mic. On WP10 I can tether initiated from my PC. On Android I need to turn it on from the phone. To show someone my location on Android I need another messaging app, or do it from Google Maps, in WP10 - it is an attachment. Still, if you like a lot of choices, can't beat Android.
    fin11 likes this.
    03-07-2018 08:41 AM
    If you are the early adopter type, look into Jolla Sailfish. It is a very smooth simple UI, but you can't talk to it. You can, but there is no response. And you can't Swype. If you don't use voice commands, and don't Swype and like a smaller 4" sized - look into the Sony Xperia with Sailfish from Jolla. It runs most Android apps that are not tied to the hardware.
    03-07-2018 08:48 AM
    My car can invoke Cortana, but on Android "OK Google", or "Hi Bixby" only comes over the phone speaker and mic..
    You have to select your phone as the audio source in your car's head unit.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-07-2018 10:52 AM
    I'm in the same situation. LOVE my 950 but trying plan for the future....I'm looking for the same integration as Jeffery....
    03-07-2018 04:27 PM
    Well, if you pick the right Android, you do get a microSD card slot, headphone jack, 2k or even 4k screen, and removable battery if you go back a few years.
    03-07-2018 05:03 PM
    If you like the Microsoft eco-system, I can tell their applications run great on iOS. I also enjoy the simplicity, security and support that Apple gives.
    I have used Android in the past for many years and it has its advantages also. I just prefer iOS.
    03-07-2018 05:25 PM
    If can't decide, just get both.😁
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    03-07-2018 05:54 PM
    If can't decide, just get both.
    This is true, I have both.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-07-2018 08:24 PM
    I would say Android for more of an open experience and default setting.

If you want it to feel more like a WP or a "Microsoft Phone" just get Microsoft Launcher. While it doesn't have the Live Tiles it's fonts and design langauge is very W10ish. It's features are great and has integrated Cortana. I've liked the experience so much that I've downloaded Edge Browser and redownload Cortana (oh...and never stopped using Outlook). Now my design langauge is pretty much in line with my SP4.

So now I'll get texts on my PC via my Android phone and synced reminders between all devices. It's the closest thing to a WP for me!
    03-07-2018 11:28 PM
    This topic needs a poll!

I say iOS. I have always used MS services, and they work perfectly. There only some quirks using exchange tasks in the iOS Reminders app.
    libra89 and darthnosti like this.
    03-11-2018 04:00 AM
    If you are the early adopter type, look into Jolla Sailfish. It is a very smooth simple UI, but you can't talk to it. You can, but there is no response. And you can't Swype. If you don't use voice commands, and don't Swype and like a smaller 4" sized - look into the Sony Xperia with Sailfish from Jolla. It runs most Android apps that are not tied to the hardware.
    Correction: Xperia X is a 5.0" screen

Caveat: Runs Android Apps from Amazon, Aptoid and other 3rd party markets OR sideloaded from a (careful now) trusted source. No Google Play or Play services. No Play services breaks some apps. Couldn't get financial apps like my bank or PayPal to run. Probably the no Play services thing.

Limit: Released in October, it is still only available for download in the EU, Norway and Switzerland. That limits the audience a whole lot. I happened to be traveling in Portugal late October 2017 so that's the only way I was able to get a copy...

https://jolla.com/sailfishx/
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-11-2018 05:21 AM
    Blackberry flavored Android. Great privacy/security built in and the BB Hub is a wiz at integrating your Outlook email, calendar, contacts. Regular and fast security updates (monthly patch).

IMHO, don't beat yourself up trying to make an Android look like W10M or WP8. Just do the Android thing and learn your way around. If you buy a chicken, why would you dress it up like a cow? It will never moo.

This topic needs a poll!
    Yep.

Needs to be in Phone Wars as well.
    aximtreo, TgeekB and libra89 like this.
    03-11-2018 05:27 AM
    I try to stay in the Microsoft world as much as possible, but Win10Mobile has become unreliable (Spotify hardly ever works, Bluetooth is touch and go). I'm not sure i'm going to switch just yet, BUT if i did, which one keeps me as close to Microsoft as possible? Or does it really make any difference?
    03-12-2018 06:23 PM
    For a Microsoft eco-system purist, which is better: iPhone or Android?

if you have the android cell going get the Microsoft launcher. Have an iPhone you have been in the Apple ecosystem.
    what I will do just watering the surface tablet or the surface note and surface watch.
    03-12-2018 06:48 PM
    iOS won’t let you do certain things like set Outlook or Cortana as default apps, but at the very least you can delete Apple’s core apps and use those in their place (Android sometimes won’t let you remove default apps without Root, which is a whole other thing).
    Wait, when did it become possible to delete stock apps from an iPhone? If I install Outlook and then delete Apple's Mail and Calendar, which are the default apps, what happens exactly?
    03-13-2018 10:52 AM
    Wait, when did it become possible to delete stock apps from an iPhone? If I install Outlook and then delete Apple's Mail and Calendar, which are the default apps, what happens exactly?
    Since iOS 10. What happens is that if you click an email address in a text message or online in Safari, it would look for the Mail client. Same thing when clicking a date, it would look for the Calendar.
    03-13-2018 11:38 AM
    Since iOS 10. What happens is that if you click an email address in a text message or online in Safari, it would look for the Mail client. Same thing when clicking a date, it would look for the Calendar.
    That explains why I was unaware. Since retiring my iPhone 4 for a Lumia 1020 followed by 950XL, I haven't touched iOS except on an old iPad 2 which is stuck at 9.3.5 but recently inherited an iPhone 5 with iOS 10.something and a 6 with iOS 11.something. I shall have to do some experiments.

I am curious to see what exactly happens if I delete Mail and Calendar and then click an email address or date. That's what I was asking, if it's been deleted what happens?
    libra89 likes this.
    03-13-2018 11:54 AM
    That explains why I was unaware. Since retiring my iPhone 4 for a Lumia 1020 followed by 950XL, I haven't touched iOS except on an old iPad 2 which is stuck at 9.3.5 but recently inherited an iPhone 5 with iOS 10.something and a 6 with iOS 11.something. I shall have to do some experiments.

I am curious to see what exactly happens if I delete Mail and Calendar and then click an email address or date. That's what I was asking, if it's been deleted what happens?
    Zac says:

Apple still doesn't allow you to set default apps on iOS, so even if you remove the stock Mail or Calendar apps, when other apps call to add an event to your calendar, or open an email to compose, it'll look for the stock apps and tell you they aren't installed.
    From here.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-13-2018 01:19 PM
    Gotcha, thanks!

So deleting the apps, rather than having them hidden in a disused folder like I have them now, won't make a lot of difference.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-13-2018 01:58 PM
    Gotcha, thanks!

So deleting the apps, rather than having them hidden in a disused folder like I have them now, won't make a lot of difference.
    Essentially.

I'm just used to copying email addresses. As for events, I can make it in either calendar and it will sync to the other one. I prefer the monthly view over the agenda one in Outlook.
    I just don't use the mail at all.
    03-13-2018 02:37 PM
    I wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone. Never Apple.
    03-13-2018 02:45 PM
    I don't like the fact that Android removed the ability to save apps to the SD card. This forces you to buy more expensive phones with larger internal storage.
    03-13-2018 02:48 PM
    I wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone. Never Apple.
    I don't like the fact that Android removed the ability to save apps to the SD card. This forces you to buy more expensive phones with larger internal storage.
    That's the dilemma ain't it? Apple is expensive garbage, and there are 1000 choices of Android, 998 of which are cheap garbage or expensive garbage, good luck finding the couple of good ones. And, of course we already know Windows on Mobile is also garbage because Microsoft kept updating it until it was useless and refused steadfastly to promote it in any meaningful way.

May as well go back to a flip-phone, huh?
    libra89 likes this.
    03-13-2018 04:31 PM
66 123