For a Microsoft eco-system purist, which is better: iPhone or Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I try to stay in the Microsoft world as much as possible, but Win10Mobile has become unreliable (Spotify hardly ever works, Bluetooth is touch and go). I'm not sure i'm going to switch just yet, BUT if i did, which one keeps me as close to Microsoft as possible? Or does it really make any difference?

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I prefer Android, but I recommend something more the Pixel or even Nokia where you'll be guaranteed timely updates. For one, I don't like iOS UI just generally speaking. But a deal breaker for me is not being able to set default apps in iOS which to me almost makes it pointless to use other services. The other nice thing about Android is the Microsoft launcher, which isn't live tiles but it still works nicely. If you want something like live tiles you can get custom launchers that mimic is, but personally I haven't found anything that is good enough. Generally speaking, I've had good experiences with all the Microsoft apps on Android. There are definitely things they can improve on but nothing that's a deal breaker right now.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Andromeda > Google Fuschia > Windows 10 Mobile > Android (Blackberry modified) > Android (Google Pixle)

That's my internal ranking. If you HAVE to go Android then get the Blackberry version - the DTEK50 and DTEK60 are great phones and are still getting security updates.

Spotify is pretty ****ty though. I hope they come out with a REAL UWP app soon.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
"If you like google, go with android. If you like apple go with iOS, but neither one of them is MS."

Yes, fortunately neither is MS. They both support their mobile OSes/products/services. Unlike MS.

Which explains why no one likes MS for mobile products/services.

Last edited:

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
So I still have a Lumia 950. I have a question to the group. On Android, can you use the contacts from MS People in a way that it is truly integrated with the whole phone experience. In other words, if the phone rings from someone in People, is that person's name (and maybe picture) displayed? Does the person's name show up in the phone log or texting conversations? When you make an update to an MS People contact on a Windows 10 device using your MS account, does the Android device get the update? When you start typing an email address for an email, do suggestions from your People contacts get suggested? Can you say to the assistant "Call [someone in your People]" and the dialing command is executed? Tight integration with contacts to me is most important. I have other questions about tight integration with calendar events used by Outlook.com associated with your MS account, especially with sync capabilities, but I will keep it short.

Wheels_____

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I’ve tried them both. I was on Android with the excellent Nexus 6 phone for personal use and an HP Elite x3 for work until the iPhone X came out. Terrific phones but I decided to give the iPhone a look. The first two weeks I hated it. I missed the Action Launcher I used on the Nexus phone. I don’t understand Apples grip on the UI on their phones. I tried the Microsoft Launcher but it’s still missing features I love with Action.
I installed every Microsoft app I could find and put everything else on two folders. The iPhone defaults to the Sierra browser but it’s not that big of a deal. It’s more annoying than anything. One Drive, One Note, have been solid. Outlook is much better for me than iPhone mail and I have MSN Sports and News but they’ve never been daily drivers. As far as other apps. Everyone has their favorites. I’m a news junkie so I have 5 I look at daily. Tweetbot for Twitter, music the same applies there, to each his own. I’ve got a large music library at home, 5645 songs, and was using Spotify but I thought I’d give Amazon music a try since I’m a prime user and Apple is going to kill iTunes in the near future. I don’t want to worry about my library so I have it backed up just in case it vanishes when Apple shifts to streaming full-time.

I’d go with the iPhone. It’s really a coin flip IMHO. It’s shocking how well Microsoft’s apps work in iOS especially after using a Windows phone. The iPhone X Price is rediculous yes but is a fine handset in every way. I know people hate the “notch” and the screen aspect makes it appear smaller but it’s not. For Android users switching over it is really a phone for them. Most iPhone users I know miss having the home button. It was one of the things that I never liked. I would have loved having both facial and fingerprint sensors but we don’t. I think the facial recognition works great but again it’s new to me and I never have worry where I have my fingers I just look at my handset and it unlocks. The battery life in my iPhone has been very very good. I easily go a full day it quick charges well. If Microsoft fixes their ToDo app to Calendar sync I’d use it instead of ToDoIst. Especially after using windows phones there’s no struggle for app software. It’s many choices are as they are with Android but I’d say so far the switch to the iPhone has more stable. I would suggest if you know nothing about how the iPhone functions buy a book or search the web. I bought a tech book/magazine that was big help in figuring at what I could shut off from Apple and how I could connect my iPhone functions to Microsoft apps.
I have to say shame on Microsoft. I love my Surface Pro 4 and the HP Elite x3 was a great Windows Phone that had great potential. More mobile OS choice is always better and I’d hope they come back in the future with something successful.

Gokul Balu1

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Hey man! Honestly I have always been a Google user and I am deeply rooted into their ecosystem, I started using windows services primarily because my work e-mail in my previous company was on outlook and hence I started using MS services. I found Google services easily executable than MS or iOS worksuite for that matter.

To answer your question I would suggest getting an Android because its better to be dependent on an open community rather than to be trapped behind the iOS garden.

ManOfChair

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I try to stay in the Microsoft world as much as possible, but Win10Mobile has become unreliable (Spotify hardly ever works, Bluetooth is touch and go). I'm not sure i'm going to switch just yet, BUT if i did, which one keeps me as close to Microsoft as possible? Or does it really make any difference?
I have a Galaxy Note 8 I bought after breaking my Lumia 950. I'm pretty excited about swapping with a buddy today for his 950XL. I can't speak to iOS, but it takes me a few swipes longer to do everything on the Android than in Windows. Android has more stuff, clearly, so if you like more stuff - Android wins. If you like simple and clean, hard to beat WP10. I've had no BT issues. My car can invoke Cortana, but on Android "OK Google", or "Hi Bixby" only comes over the phone speaker and mic. On WP10 I can tether initiated from my PC. On Android I need to turn it on from the phone. To show someone my location on Android I need another messaging app, or do it from Google Maps, in WP10 - it is an attachment. Still, if you like a lot of choices, can't beat Android.

ManOfChair

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
If you are the early adopter type, look into Jolla Sailfish. It is a very smooth simple UI, but you can't talk to it. You can, but there is no response. And you can't Swype. If you don't use voice commands, and don't Swype and like a smaller 4" sized - look into the Sony Xperia with Sailfish from Jolla. It runs most Android apps that are not tied to the hardware.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If you like the Microsoft eco-system, I can tell their applications run great on iOS. I also enjoy the simplicity, security and support that Apple gives.
I have used Android in the past for many years and it has its advantages also. I just prefer iOS.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I would say Android for more of an open experience and default setting.

If you want it to feel more like a WP or a "Microsoft Phone" just get Microsoft Launcher. While it doesn't have the Live Tiles it's fonts and design langauge is very W10ish. It's features are great and has integrated Cortana. I've liked the experience so much that I've downloaded Edge Browser and redownload Cortana (oh...and never stopped using Outlook). Now my design langauge is pretty much in line with my SP4.

So now I'll get texts on my PC via my Android phone and synced reminders between all devices. It's the closest thing to a WP for me!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are the early adopter type, look into Jolla Sailfish. It is a very smooth simple UI, but you can't talk to it. You can, but there is no response. And you can't Swype. If you don't use voice commands, and don't Swype and like a smaller 4" sized - look into the Sony Xperia with Sailfish from Jolla. It runs most Android apps that are not tied to the hardware.

Correction: Xperia X is a 5.0" screen

Caveat: Runs Android Apps from Amazon, Aptoid and other 3rd party markets OR sideloaded from a (careful now) trusted source. No Google Play or Play services. No Play services breaks some apps. Couldn't get financial apps like my bank or PayPal to run. Probably the no Play services thing.

Limit: Released in October, it is still only available for download in the EU, Norway and Switzerland. That limits the audience a whole lot. I happened to be traveling in Portugal late October 2017 so that's the only way I was able to get a copy...

https://jolla.com/sailfishx/

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry flavored Android. Great privacy/security built in and the BB Hub is a wiz at integrating your Outlook email, calendar, contacts. Regular and fast security updates (monthly patch).

IMHO, don't beat yourself up trying to make an Android look like W10M or WP8. Just do the Android thing and learn your way around. If you buy a chicken, why would you dress it up like a cow? It will never moo.

This topic needs a poll!

Yep.

Needs to be in Phone Wars as well.

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon