How do carriers handle LTE devices like the budget Surface tablet?

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
Dan, How do carriers handle LTE devices like the budget Surface tablet? I was hoping I can switch out my Verizon Jetpack with this tablet on my unlimited data plan.

peterw1000

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Personally I don't get the need for LTE on tablets and Laptops if you already have a Smartphone with a data plan. When I travel or holiday with my Surface Pro 4 I simply teather my SP4 to my Smartphone and use my phone data. Why have two 4G tariffs when its cheaper to have one and increase it a bit for your needs.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How about just taking the jetpack in your bag with the tablet? I have a Verizon jetpack and can connect up to 8 different devices simultaneously.

Verizon no longer allows hotspot on their post-paid plans? I find it much easier to tether, that's just me. I wish all PCs and tablets were like Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile where once you establish a bluetooth connection you can summon the hotspot without touching your phone. Just like the old days of bluetooth dial-up networking.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Verizon no longer allows hotspot on their post-paid plans? I find it much easier to tether, that's just me. I wish all PCs and tablets were like Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile where once you establish a bluetooth connection you can summon the hotspot without touching your phone. Just like the old days of bluetooth dial-up networking.
The jetpack is better for me, since it provides faster speeds without throttling on my plan. That's why I got it. It's cheaper and faster than choosing a more expensive unlimited data plan for my phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The jetpack is better for me, since it provides faster speeds without throttling on my plan. That's why I got it. It's cheaper and faster than choosing a more expensive unlimited data plan for my phone.
Amazing. You need to go to an unlimited plan for stuff they offered on $45 prepaid plans just a few years ago. As much as their LTE coverage sucks, I'm staying with the Magenta Morons. I'm on their legacy Simple Choice with 4 lines of 10GB each, hotspot until you hit the 10 gigs per line, a 2GB Data-only line and the Digits line for $140. I ain't giving that baby up anytime soon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Amazing. You need to go to an unlimited plan for stuff they offered on $45 prepaid plans just a few years ago. As much as their LTE coverage sucks, I'm staying with the Magenta Morons. I'm on their legacy Simple Choice with 4 lines of 10GB each, hotspot until you hit the 10 gigs per line, a 2GB Data-only line and the Digits line for $140. I ain't giving that baby up anytime soon.
Yeah, T-Mobile is much less expensive. However, I need coverage in my apartment, which only Verizon provides.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2