Where should I start with windows app development ?

rohit_mishra25

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. I've finally decided to take my decision of learning to develop windows apps seriously and I would like to know where i can start with it. I mean, is it okay to start with UWP apps? I ask this because (a) I'm confused regarding what Microsoft's plans are and (b) I don't really know if UWP will be there in the future, given the plans regarding Andromeda, Windows 10 S and others. I just need a relevant starting point. Any help/suggestion would be appreciated!

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well UWP is what Microsoft would want you to build so that they actually have some quality apps in their Store. If I recall correctly they even lowered their cut from app revenues in order to attract more developers.

Microsoft's plans are to ditch all the Win32 apps at some point or have them all ported via Centennial so that they have this "UWP container" around the app that allows developers to put them in the Store. Of course they still have to work on the APIs for UWP apps and it's sad that they still don't have enough powerful APIs for them to fully migrate the Control Panel or File Explorer to a full UWP app, but you can still do a lot with UWP development.

Where you should start depends on your knowledge of programming, UWP design language etc. Microsoft virtual academy has some good tutorials for all skill levels.

anon(10505149)

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I mean, is it okay to start with UWP apps? I ask this because (a) I'm confused regarding what Microsoft's plans are and (b) I don't really know if UWP will be there in the future, given the plans regarding Andromeda, Windows 10 S and others. I just need a relevant starting point. Any help/suggestion would be appreciated!

My advice, one dev to another, is target iOS first, then Microsoft, then Android.

Why iOS? Because Apple supports their platform with really great devices like the iPhone and iPad. And frankly because Apple customers tend to spend money. Most app developers actually making a living today are doing so on the Apple Store.

As for Microsoft, I'd say put it 2nd to iOS IF, and it's a BIG IF, if you aren't depending on "mobile" customers. Nadella and Microsoft management have clearly abandoned everything mobile. And no, the new 10 inch Surface Go doesn't count. Without a pocketable device, aka a phone, there is no "universal" in Universal Windows Platform. So only if your app targets mainly laptop owner or laptop-like device owners (ie Surface Pro, Surface Go), then target the UWP platform 2nd. If not, then skip UWP altogether and move on to Android.

That said... Android users are mostly all a bunch of hippies who believe everything in life should be free. Google promotes this theology by charging nothing for their services, even expensive services like Google Photos, cashing in via ADVERTISING instead, like the self-righteous hypocrites they are.

So iOS first (regarless of what form factor you are targeting), UWP second ONLY if you don't depend on mobile customers, and Android 3rd, but make sure you don't charge for your app on the Play store, give it away for free and load it up with ads instead! It's the only thing those hippies understand.

rohit_mishra25

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have worked with C# and .Net for web development and I feel comfortable with everything that's Microsoft-related. That's the reason why I want to make apps for the windows store and not go for android. I'm just not sure what is relevant and what's going to stay here in the long run.

rohit_mishra25

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
No, I'm not focusing on mobile devices. When I said UWP apps, I basically was referring to the apps we see on our Windows 10 laptops or PCs.
I also do have an inclination towards iOS apps, but instead of learning Swift and working on a mac, I want to still use things like Xamarin and work on VS. I like the cross-platform idea quite a bit. Could you give me an idea of whether its a good idea ?
I basically just want to develop for the Windows store and iOS (Android - nah man!).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3